oscar questions...

kido

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2005
hi guys, i've got 2 9" oscars in my pond and i'm planning to put them in my plastic planted tank.. my question is are they nasty diggers? my substrate is gravel and i was wondering if the oscars would dig up the plants? i was hoping that they would leave them alone so i wouldn't have re-plant anything to avoid the hassle..

anybody have similar experiences?

redtailfool

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2005
New Jersey
Hi Kido.. yes they are notorious diggers. Much like the bigger cichlids , they usually
are the ones that have the final say in what the tank will look like. You can certainly try but chances are that they will uproot the plants and dig up the substrate.

kido

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2005
thanks guys.. i figured that would happen.. i'll probably just put some of my characins in there so the setup won't be disturbed :)

thanks for the warm welcome :thumbsup:

d20monsteroscar20

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 6, 2005
Missouri City, TX
I also agree with that. However wen I brought my 2 Oscars I had them in a planted tank. they never disturbed the plants until I started to add some other cichlids. Now the plants are all gone and there is no way I m puting plants in that tank cause they will eat it all.

kido

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2005
well, i'll just put my acestros, asian knife and spotted gar in the tank. they pretty much won't touch any of the plants

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store