Oscars Laid Eggs. What should I do now.

Fogs

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2013
Florida
D2FE5B06-03C7-4538-BE49-6B6A0719DAD5.jpeg0C5E8212-8464-4AFD-9325-C71BE5625FAE.jpeg664F4C6A-A1FC-49B4-8CC5-87FC954EE1D3.jpegHey guys so today I woke up and noticed my two large oscars laid some eggs in my tank. Ive never done this before so Im not sure what to do. I looked up some info online and the eggs in there right now seem to be unfertilized since theyre white? When will they be fertilized, or will they at all? The tank is a 75 with 2 Oscars 1 Pike and 1 Jack Dempsey. Im wondering what my next step is at this point if theres any hope of hatching them. The rock they used to lay on is pretty immovable tbh its heavy and propped under other rocks. If I move it the entire tanks mojo will be off. Any recommendations are appreciated thanks!

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Fertilization occurs as the female lays the eggs. If you don’t see any changes in transparency in the next 2 days then they are not fertile. There’s always a chance you gave 2 females. Vent them to check

Kelly_Aquatics

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2020
you can divide the tank but truthfully that is way too many fish for that tank 1 oscar is ok for a 75g two is really pushing it and the other fish just make it wors but if you are able to keep stable parameters then you best bet would be to divide the tank with egg crate and wrap it with window screen so babys can not get through

Reactions: The Masked Shadow

Fogs

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2013
Florida
you can divide the tank but truthfully that is way too many fish for that tank 1 oscar is ok for a 75g two is really pushing it and the other fish just make it wors but if you are able to keep stable parameters then you best bet would be to divide the tank with egg crate and wrap it with window screen so babys can not get through
My water is crystal clear with perfect quality and all fish are thriving.

Fogs

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2013
Florida
Fertilization occurs as the female lays the eggs. If you don’t see any changes in transparency in the next 2 days then they are not fertile. There’s always a chance you gave 2 females. Vent them to check
I dont really have any experience with venting and thats not something I think Id like to do really. I could tell that theyre acting together and were exhibiting natural mating behavior days prior to the eggs showing up so would they do that if theyre both female? Im almost 99% one of them is a male.

Fogs

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2013
Florida
If the eggs do hatch I think the best option to raise them might be to keep the oscars and babies in there and then remove my other fish from the tank temporarily until I can scoop out the babies maybe? Right now the eggs are still white so who even knows if theyll be fertilized. If they arent fertile what should I do with them?

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
I dont really have any experience with venting and thats not something I think Id like to do really. I could tell that theyre acting together and were exhibiting natural mating behavior days prior to the eggs showing up so would they do that if theyre both female? Im almost 99% one of them is a male.
yes 2 females would show what some would interpret as male female breeding behavior

Reactions: Redshark1

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
If the eggs do hatch I think the best option to raise them might be to keep the oscars and babies in there and then remove my other fish from the tank temporarily until I can scoop out the babies maybe? Right now the eggs are still white so who even knows if theyll be fertilized. If they arent fertile what should I do with them?
Thats a good plan. If they aren’t fertile, just leave them and the parents or other fish will eat them. Are they still white or have they changed color?

Reactions: Fogs

Fogs

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2013
Florida
clarity is not a sign of clean water. Nitrate reading using a liquid test is a much better indicator of consistantly keeping nitrates way below 20ppm.
Ya. Hence i used the word “quality” as well. Parameters are perfect.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store