OSCARS MATING!?

snshn56

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2006
USA/Missouri
I have had these two oscars since February. They are approx. 9inches. I took out my pleco yesterday, and when I got home from work, it appeared that the oscars had spent most of the day moving rocks. The have cleared a big circle on the bottom of the tank (still working on it today). They are swimming side by side, when not moving rocks, lip locking, wagging their tails in each others face. Are we getting ready to do the deed???

importracer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2005
NorthernCalifornia
Hold your horsies keeper....Sometimes o's pair off in same sex pairs...But, to answer your question, yes....All those signs you mentioned are typical breeding signs...thums up, I mean :thumbsup: ....

snshn56

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2006
USA/Missouri
Well, had to go out last nite. When I got home around midnite, someone had laid eggs. Don't know if they are fertilized, but there are plenty of them.

importracer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2005
NorthernCalifornia
snshn56;530626; said:
Well, had to go out last nite. When I got home around midnite, someone had laid eggs. Don't know if they are fertilized, but there are plenty of them.
Congrats....But still, females have been known to pair up and actually defend a nest with eggs from both partners...But by tomorrow, check for any yellowish eggs...Yellow means they are fertilized...White means not fertiized...

snshn56

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2006
USA/Missouri
Drat!! Bad news!! Came home from work last nite, not one single egg left in the tank. Dang it!! But they were yellowish, not white. Just wondering when I might expect them to go through this again???

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store