Oscura heterospila

nutty

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2007
United Kingdom
Here is one shot of my recently spawned Oscura heterospila pair. I dare say, that imo, this species could be the perfect Heroine cichlid. I have kept them on three separate occasions in 11 years and never experience problems. Ideal keeping them in community biotope tanks with Thorichthys spp. and livebearers.

DSC_4013a_2 by Lee Nuttall, on Flickr

nutty

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2007
United Kingdom
Good to hear. I'm growing out a group of 8 that I hope to keep a pair or trio in a 135 with some thorichthys or amatitlania species
They should do well. Thorichthys spp. such as T. helleri, T. meeki and T. pasionis are biotope correct. Amatitlania and Cryptoheros spp. are not found with heterospila if this matters? They can pair and spawn quite early in their development, good luck with them.

Reactions: Toiletcar

sevs and sajicas for me

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2017
They should do well. Thorichthys spp. such as T. helleri, T. meeki and T. pasionis are biotope correct. Amatitlania and Cryptoheros spp. are not found with heterospila if this matters? They can pair and spawn quite early in their development, good luck with them.
I wasn't going for biotope correct. But was going to do pasiones if i did do the thorichthys. Mine vary greatly right now in appearance (all are about 2 to 2.5 inches). Do you have any insights on the best way to sex them?

kewpiefishypewpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2016
Nice, are you able to sex them yet?
Do you have any words of wisdom in regards to sexing them? I have a group of 6, but the largest is only about 4". The smallest one is probably 2". Your pair is very beautiful by the way!

nutty

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2007
United Kingdom
Young Oscura heterospila are generally monomorphic in appearance, however, some differences maybe observed. Generally the male will have a pointed dorsal edge and females appear rounded to males. Here is a visual guide. The fish are around 3-4 inch in length.

Male:
DSC_1942 by Lee Nuttall, on Flickr

Female:
DSC_1935 by Lee Nuttall, on Flickr

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store