Osphronemus goramy medical help - open wound secondary to swim bladder issue?

MichaelAngelo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2009
Markham ON
Hello all, for the past two years I've left my giant gourami in the care of my parents as I have moved away from home.

Unfortunately, during a visit this weekend I saw this:

https://imgur.com/gNnURZ0

https://imgur.com/5C4LcvV

The fish has been strong as an ox for its entire (8+ year) life. Now, it's struggling to get to the surface to breath and seems locked to the bottom - which has undoubtedly caused this abrasion of his lower body.

I was wondering if anyone knew what was going on and if there's any intervention or medication I can do for the fish.

If it's possible to clear this up and the fish survives - or if someone can give it proper care - I'd love to find a more suitable home (I'm in the Toronto area).

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
What are the water parameters like?

I'm no GG expert, but are they not usually bigger by this age? esoxlucius esoxlucius xraycer xraycer

Making sure the water is low in nitrate and cleaning the filters to reduce harmful bacteria load should help. Hope the fish pulls through!

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
beside the need for the normal frequent water changes, as these goramys age, they become more and more vegetarian, needing frequent feedings heavy in fibrous veggies to maintain intestinal health (3 I had could go thru a head of romaine in a day), which unfortunately then, also require more frequent water changes because of the bioload, to keep water quality healthy.
What are your parents feeding, and can they handle a heavy water change schedule?

Reactions: kno4te

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Wow, your fish is grossly out of proportion. I would have to say stunted development, likely from poor water quality and nutrition.
I think at this point all you can do is improve water quality via wc and give more veggies and fruits.
In regards to the skin infection, I have no advice since it's not something I've really ever had to deal with.
gNnURZ0_d.jpg 20170906_202238.jpg

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
It looks to me that either tank size, diet or water quality, maybe all, are playing a big part in its demise. But you dont give any details of either.

If it was in good health before your parents got it, and it's been going downhill since, then i suspect you parents aren't fulfilling its demands. Are your parents in the hobby or have they just had the fish dumped on them with basic care instructions from yourself and left to get on with it?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store