ossa knife

mudskipper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2006
Hastings, NE
The got in a 7" ossa knife. I had only seen it once on the internet. They said that it came in without a tag so they didn't have a price on it, let alone know what it was. It is a safe bet that I am the only one is this town that knew what it was :wall: Well, since the owner was gone at the time, I told them to reserve it and for the owner to find a price. I am interested in any info pics, or any thing about it

thefishofdoom

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2005
California
i dont know can u get pics?

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
Scientific name:
Gymnorhamphichthys rondoni
Common names:
Mousetail Knife Fish, , Elephantnose Knife Fish
Synonyms: Gymnorhamphichthys rondonis
Order: Gymnotiformes
Size: Up to 6”, more commonly reaches 4”
Origin: Wild caught specimens only, distributed through Upper and central South America, largest populations in Rio Orinoco
Tank: At least 24” long, about 30 gallons (around 120 liters), be warned that when in large setup, it may only rarely be seen, due to it’s cryptic nature. Will enjoy a planted setup, needs numerous hiding places
Compatibility: Best kept without any other electric fishes, it refuse to feed if introduced into a tank already containing other electric species, including others of it’s own species. Keep with peaceful community fish, though even some normally peaceful species (such as silver dollars) may nip at its long, filamentous tail
Water Variety: Fresh (RO water highly recommended)
Hardness: 4-15 dH
pH: 6.0-7.2
Captive Breeding: breeding not reported in captivity
Foods/Feeding: Will accept frozen blood worms, tubifex worms, and black worms, live preferred. Try to station the food under a plant leaf near the fish so that’ it’s easier for the fish to locate it’s meal

More Facts: This species is becoming increasingly rare in the aquarium trade, though it is surprisingly common in its natural habitat of the Amazon and upper South America. In the aquarium, it likes among plats and rocks during the day, and venturing out by night to feed, so feed this beautiful little fish right before heading to bed. Being one of the smallest knife fish species, this species can comfortably be kept in a 30 gallon or larger tank through adulthood. Breeding has not been reported under captive conditions, but one would think that it is possible because of their small maximum size. This delicate species is not a good beginners fish.

mudskipper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2006
Hastings, NE
thanks miles, I will research the sci. name. I have on eproblem with your info though, its size is 7". You guys think it will be alright in the cichlid tank?

mudskipper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2006
Hastings, NE
sorry, still can't find anything with those names. any pics??

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store