Our brown bullheads, northern and southern

blackbullhead

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2011
Thank you, guys.

Those are cool bullheads. Thanks. Most max sizes say on PCF are subject to change and anyone can effect it by sending in the evidence - a photo of a fish with a measure tape next to it. While these cats are indeed relatively huge, it's hard to gauge as the anglers are doing their usual cheap trick. I wish they haven't. Or much rather, I wish they included a measure tape in the shot.
Good call, I didn't think to account for the fish being held at arm's length...
I did some digging and couldn't find any records of truly giant snail bullheads, although here's a picture of a pretty nice one (with tape included).post-4799-0-15156400-1451515210.jpg

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Good call, I didn't think to account for the fish being held at arm's length...
I did some digging and couldn't find any records of truly giant snail bullheads, although here's a picture of a pretty nice one (with tape included).View attachment 1335080
Nice! Thank you for that. It's right on the max reported size:

... Remember, the champion / max reported sizes:

-- black -------------------------------- aka Ictalurus melas ~~~27"
-- North American white catfish - aka I. catus ~~~~~~~~~27"
-- brown ------------------------------- aka I. nebulosus ~~~~~~23"
-- yellow ------------------------------- aka I. natalis ~~~~~~~~~19"
-- snail (I think aka spotted) ------ aka I. brunneus ~~~~~~~15"
-- flat or flathead -------------------- aka I. platycephalus ~~~~13"

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Update on the two southerns. Not much to say in words. They are about 12"-14" now and it feels like they have not been growing. They got ill when I had an outbreak of something (maybe columnaris) in 2018 but recovered.

Reactions: Iamfish and moe214

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Do not house pacu with bullheads, I'd say based on my experience. The same as occurs with channel catfish - the pacu bite off pieces of their fins as they please. Looks like they do it for feed. Had a pair of 1' pacu come in as rescues and placed them in this 240 gal tank. In a few days, the bullheads stopped swimming around and their fins, especially the dorsal, were reduced by half.

Looks like pacu and these Ictaluridae do not mix.

Reactions: Iamfish and moe214

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
No more brown bullheads here.

The two southerners perished too. The symptoms of the swelling of the body and the eyes are consistent with the supposed columnaris I have been observing wiping fish out of my tanks since the summer of 2018, that is for a year now.

The tank water temp is also at the highest, around 86F-90F, which most likely didn't help. Dissolved oxygen is at 7 ppm though, not too bad.

I must note the pair of the northerners too perished in the end of Aug 2018, when our water is near the warmest. The symptoms were the same (described on page 2).

The northerners were about 2.5 years with us. These southerners were about 3.5 years with us.

Bigger one at 13"-14":

100_8592.JPG100_8593.JPG100_8594.JPG

The smaller one at 11"-12". Damage is post mortem.

100_8601.JPG

when they were little:

Bullhead little southern brown -1.JPG

Bullhead little southern brown -2.JPG

Bullhead little southern brown -3.JPG

Bullhead little southern brown -4.JPG

Bullhead little southern brown -5.JPG

Attachments

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Same with a yellow: https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/yellow-bullhead-at-fish-story.723774/

One's a fluke, 2 a pattern, 7 a law. We lost 7 bullheads over the last 5 years, from 3yo to 5yo to seemingly the same bug, as can be judged by the same symptom of great swelling and overall length and progress of their last illness, supposedly a bacterial pathogen, maybe columnaris that infected our systems and fish in 2018. The final victim is the 4yo 15in/37cm yellow bullhead.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store