Outdoor Brackish Pond (Fl Native Species)

Merknight79

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2015
Well folks...i finally decided to give a pond a go and decided to try a brackish water aggressive species pond (Florida Native).

The pond is approximately 900 gallons

Roughly 10' long with 3 depth tiers 16", 26" and 40"

Crushed coral and shell substrate. Oyster skeletons and limestone base rock structure.

Planted Caulerpa Prolifera in shallow tier zone.

Filtration is a 90 gallon stock tank with lava rock, planted marsh reeds and mangrove trees. (Uv sterilizer to come) also have poly filter/carbon scrubber fiber media present at the point of return flow.

Refill is a 250 gallon aux water tank connected to a stock water trough filler...water maintain at specific gravity of 1.008.

Salinity Specific Gravity ranges from 1.012 - 1.015 ... tested salinity where we decided to collect fish (Huegonaut Park, Jacksonville Fl) and in a tidal period (low to high - high to low), the specific gravity fluxed from 1.010 - 1.020 over 3 days of testing. On the 4th day, we had heavy rain and the specific gravity dipped to 1.005 on the low tide and climbed only to 1.016 on the high tide.

Note: did ammonia/nitrite/nitrate tests at collection site...i was surpised at the levels encountered but then remembered that estuaries are basically giant filters/protein skimmers so, it made sense.

Current fish stock:
3 x 4" mangrov snappers
6 x 3" Pinfish (porgies)
...also several fiddler crabs and small bait shrimp

So far...the pond is doing well. The temp flux during the day is moderate and the fish move from the shallower zones during the evening and mornings to the deep zone when it gets hot. They dont seem to mind the salinity swings, as they dont show signs of stress.

The shrimp and fiddlers are kind of like my canaries in the coal mine and to this point, they are thriving.

I am very happy with the results this far.

I will post some pics and a video link here soon. I look forward to sharing this with you guys :)

Last edited:

Merknight79

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2015
Does anyone have any first hand experience with higher salinity brackish ponds? Issues to watch out for as it matures? Overall suggestions?

FriedFlowerHornFillet

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2014
Toledo Ohio
Really cool idea. Sounds like you have it well in hand. The only thing I could think of long term would be rain and run off from it could mess up your parameters. You'll have to find a way to simulate the tide? I'm not really knowledgeable enough to give advice on this matter. I'm sure someone here is though. -Post some pics

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store