OUTDOOR POND, ALL PIC'S

ryuunami

Gambusia
Jul 9, 2013
va
my pond. i did not build but have been fixing up each year. we just lost a beautiful tree behind. oh, and it took down my tree at the end of the pond too. this year, a full rework of the plants there. time to change, according to ma nature.

IMG_2822.JPG

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA

marpol

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2020
Hi

1600 gallons ,max depth : 3,9 ft

fish:

4x koi

1x gymnogeophagus balzanii

15 x corydoras paleatus ( peppered corys )

Polish climate

temperature in summer : 20-30 celsius

winter december ,january and february : night -6 celsius , during day around 0-5 celsius

fish all year in pond and they are ok

IMG_20200806_093057.jpg

IMG_20200806_093045.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

Justepic

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2018
London
That's a beautiful pond marpol! It definitely gives me ideas on putting gymneophagus balzonii and peppered cories in my pond with terrapins. I wonder how many other 'tropical' fish can survive temps below 10 celsius.

marpol

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2020
when it comes to subtropical fish then only balzanii and other types of gymnogeophagus and peppered cory will survive in 0-5 celsius WATER temperature. IF there is minimum AIR temperature 5 celsius not WATER then i think texas cichlid and tilapia can make it for winter seasson. We must separate two things ,air temperature and water temperature , when air temperature is 5 celsius then water temperature at bottom of pond will be around 8 but only if you pond is deep enough - depth 1 metre and more. It wont work in shallow pond.

Last edited:
Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

Justepic

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2018
London
when it comes to subtropical fish then only balzanii and other types of gymnogeophagus and peppered cory will survive in 0-5 celsius WATER temperature. IF there is minimum AIR temperature 5 celsius not WATER then i think texas cichlid and tilapia can make it for winter seasson. We must separate two things ,air temperature and water temperature , when air temperature is 5 celsius then water temperature at bottom of pond will be around 8 but only if you pond is deep enough - depth 1 metre and more. It wont work in shallow pond.
Ah I see, my pond is only 70cm deep so I don't think the texas and tilapia will work. I will have to see how cold it gets this winter, and you can be sure that it gets cold here in England!

marpol

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2020
winters in Uk are warmer than in Poland so i dont think there will be problem with Balzani or other gymnogeophagus . You should focus more on question ,,if there is any chance that my turtle will eat my fish ''' ;)

Reactions: Justepic
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store