Outdoor pond with glass window n00b questions

Devlin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2011
Arizona
Hey all-

I am planning on incorporating a small (comparatively! :D ) outdoor pond as part of a paver patio that I am putting in over the next couple months. I have a piece of glass that is approx 6'6" long, 18" wide and 3/4" thick. I'd like to incorporate it as a viewing window for a pond that will be 8-9' long, 30" high and 24" wide. (Around 350 gallons)

I have never done masonry, so I've been looking at options with a wooden frame surrounded by a brick facing. I've been searching a ton of site including this one, and just about every one that I can find addresses much larger water volumes, and uses cinderblock masonry with windows in steel frames, or a bunch of "Yeah, that's cool! Wonder how they did that?"

Found the articles on here for the 5000 gal tank and a couple of others, but again, way out of my fledgling skills.

I wouldn't mind giving it a go, I found a site called pond armor that has a sealing epoxy that they sell, my main fears are shifting ground causing cracks or similar.

Anyone have some search tips or pointers that they can give me? Got no problem reading/learning, but haven't really found anything useful for this situation.

Thanks!

ETA: The glass came from an indoor shower enclosure originally (My contractor neighbor donated it), and what I was originally thinking was a wooden frame set into a plywood box that is faced with bricks, or a wooden frame set into a liner setup so that the masonry isn't as critical.

John

imusuallyuseless

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2009
San Antonio
I would just do a standard plywood tank w stone/brick exterior facade

TroyAnthony

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2018
Bastrop, Texas
Search all the forums here about species vs rubber. I'm haven't ever done it, but from doing my research on here o already don't like pond armour.

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
Hi John,
What has your contractor neighbour suggested - should maybe start there, rather than us fish-geeks :)
Easiest to get you started seems to be concrete blocks holding a poly sheet. You may be able to set the blocks with a simple cement, or just with Liquid Nail (or similar), then ram-fill the cavities with high-clay dirt & a bit of hammered-in rebar to stabilize. You may be able to set the glass directly to the poly with polyurethane adhesive (maybe 3M 5200), though you may be better to frame it in angle-iron first - which will also let you have the glass not be interior to the blocks. Angle-iron may not have to be welded, just secured along 3side by drilling & masonry-screws. To use an Aluminium angle-bar is more costly, but means you won't have to worry about rust. 3/4" glass @ 18" tall may not need top-brace, though it'll be recommended. Have fun!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store