outdoor ponds

flower1982

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2005
USA
I'm thinking of making an outdoor pond next summer or the summer after that lol.
I don't really know how big of a pond to make or what all is needed. Do you need a filter for an outdoor pond? I know a filter would make it easier to make it cleaner but how do you have a pond without a filter? I'd really like to put my two goldfish in a pond sometime. You know before they get too big for me to move with out alot of difficulty lol :thumbsup:

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
There are several threads in the DYI forum on how to make ponds, both inground and above ground.
As for materials, it depends on size and type, and soil type. Large ponds are often unfiltered but we are talking 1/2 acre plus. for a backyard pond you will want a pump for surface current, and a filter for clarity and water quality, you can make an in pond filter very cheaply, it is like a big box filter made from storage containers.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
There are several books telling how to set up stepped water falls, as for cost of running an unheated outdoor pond it varies widely, how big, how big is your pump, do you need a spot heater to keep a section of open water in the winter, how many and what kind of fish, feeding, etc. If you don't use heaters and have a 8'x 12'x 2 1/2' pond with two 44g in pond filters and a 4200gph pump and don't have solid freezes in the winter figure about $100 a year not counting food.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
flower1982 said:
Guppy I looked in the DYI forum for pond building threads and I couldn't find any.
I'll check for the right threads
Okay it is in the DYI forum once you are there do a search for "raised indoor Pond" started by oscar1, it will show some examples.

flower1982

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2005
USA
the tread is for a raised indoor pond. I wouldn't think that would be the same for an inground outdoor pond. Thanks for the help though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store