Over Head Filter - Flowerpot Style

wmpaul

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2010
uk
think i might make one of these while im off work for my shrimp breeding tank as the hang on filters are rubbish and the tank is sat on the floor so sump is no good

Batt58

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2011
Adelaide, South Australia
danz;4333105; said:
I have looked into importing this style of filter from the manufacture in China, I have already imported a TON of bioballs and ceramic rings from them and are awesome.

As far as the style I am running he can still get them however he has had a lot of issues with USPS beating the hell out of the units and breaking them and were more headaches for him. He can still get them for people so if your interested please PM and will put you in contact with him.

I have one of these on my 30" growing on tank, silent and good filtration with easy maintenance.

earthstudent

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2010
Iowa
I was thinking about the aesthetic value of a flower pot above tank filter. I think it could actually add a nice touch to a tank. You could build the filter to be like an aquaponic grow bed and grow flowers or other plants or you could build it like a typical filter and top it with a lid/panel with fake plants attached. Either way it would just look like a flower pot and not a filter. Seems like a great idea.

I am all about incorporating plants into my filter systems. I think I am going to build one of these.

yaajer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2007
wisc
I just got mine done. Going to add a larger flower bed for this bed to sit in and then cut a hole and pipe it down in case of an overflow. So far so good, going to get some pothos today and transplant them into the hydroton. I am using a 30" bed which will be going into a 36" bed for overflow later. Fist chamber, water is drown down through a couple fiber media pads. Water is forced under and up to next chamber. You cant see it, but the second chamber is split horizontally. Bio balls then the ceramic rings. Water is forced over to some seachem matrix and finer ceramic rings and pushed under to the hydroton bed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icqdjCJ2KMM

ohf.jpg

ohf.jpg

shelbybmc

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2013
Avon, NY
Gonna be attempting one of these for 180 gallon. 1600 GPH pump :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store