Over population

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
So I currently have roughly 100 convicts in my 75G. All appear to be healthy and doing ok, but space wise they do not seem like they are enjoying be crammed in there. Any ideas on what to do with the over population? I hate to cull them, but can't imagine they are having a great time being in such a tight space. Plus I am not happy at having to do water changes every couple of days to keep nitrates manageable.

View attachment 1469683
You need to be able to cull. Best when they are smaller or you end up with what you got going on here. Or keep a single gender. All male convict communities work out pretty well. I would cull all the females and and lot of the males and freeze them for fish food and keep the best males.

Reactions: Deadeye

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
Post an add on here and people will snap them up. Worst case scenario, bring them to an Lfs.

dr exum dr exum

Denon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
So petsmart was a no go, but petco said they would take them. I plan on getting a bucket together and getting 3/4 of them over there sometime this week. I do want to keep a few females as I plan on using the fry for my Umbee's when they get bigger. I will be sure to keep a lot closer eye on the tank this time around though so that this doesn't happen again. :nilly:

Tj203

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2019
So I currently have roughly 100 convicts in my 75G. All appear to be healthy and doing ok, but space wise they do not seem like they are enjoying be crammed in there. Any ideas on what to do with the over population? I hate to cull them, but can't imagine they are having a great time being in such a tight space. Plus I am not happy at having to do water changes every couple of days to keep nitrates manageable.

View attachment 1469683
I actually laughed out loud when I read this post. I thought I was Heavily stock.

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
Yo what type of convicts are they? I would like to breed convicts as feeders and I’m surprised yours populated so fast

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Yo what type of convicts are they? I would like to breed convicts as feeders and I’m surprised yours populated so fast
Just regular convicts…they breed fast…really fast…

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I actually laughed out loud when I read this post. I thought I was Heavily stock.
Lol same….
At least this wasn’t intentional, all just cons being cons.

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
looking for some myself - going to LFS to get taxed ?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store