Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
daveydoodle;3493718; said:
So then knowing that my max head height will be about 4-6 feet max, I should be looking for a pump that outputs about 1000 gph @ that height? (to work with two overflows @ 600 gph each).
Sound logical?
This is good rationale. Gives you a little room for slow-downs or clogs.

daveydoodle

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2009
Colorado
Okay...I picked up a used 55 gal today for a screaming deal with the intention of using it as my sump tank for the 180. But now two concerns arise; 1) When I picked this up, the person wanted rid of everything so he gave me the stand, filter, lights, pump, etc. everything but the heater. So Now I can't help but look at that tank and think "I could get another tank going since I already have everything I need". There's a multitude of things I could do with this- mainly MORE FISH!! and concern #2) Are we sure this tank isn't too large for a sump tank for a 180 gal? Or am I just mentally stuck on concern #1, and looking for an excuse?
I've realized I have a sickness.....

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
A 55 might be a bit on the big size, but there's not many options between 29Gs and 55s.

You might be able to get away with a 29, preferably 30 long.

daveydoodle

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2009
Colorado
Any other thoughts on whether I can effectively run a sump tank for a 180 gallon with smaller than a 55 gallon? I have a 20L which is 30 x 12.5 x 13 tall, and as Pharoah said, there isn't much between that and a 55. Even a 29L is only 4 inches taller than the 20L. The overflow boxes are (2) 600 gph boxes (each has a single 1" out) and the return pump is a 1200 gph (approx. 950 gph @ 4' head height). Can a 20L work if I do not include a refugium, just filter chambers? or am risking overflow from the sump tank?

sturgeonlover

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2010
New York
I know this is really old, but I need to ask... I have a tank with built in overflow and i do not know what the GPH on the overflow is. What pump do I get? I have a 360 gallons with 2 overfllows in each side and the overflow rims are about 2 inches from top of tank.

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
How much turnover do you want to achieve? What type and size drain pipes are being used in the overflows? Will you be using a sump?

Unless you purchased an off the shelf overflow, it may be hard to get a number. But tell us more what you have for plumbing and filtration and folks can provide some options.

Generally, you can safely use a ball valve to adjust flow return flow. Else DC pumps with controllers are good options.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
There is no such thing as "too big a sump"
I had a 55 gallon tank outside, and used a 1700 gallon pond as sump.
On its own the tank would overheat from the sun, but the large volume of the pond as a sump, kept the tank stabile.
I also tend to use 75 gal tanks inside as sumps, on any size tank, be it a 20 gallon or 150 gallon.
As far as overflow boxes, 2 is fine, and you will need 2 because if one can't handle the amount the pump pumps, your screwed (water on the floor) But with 2 boxes rated at 600 each you should be fine. Your pump pumps up and water falls by gravity to the sump, in the end it all works as a loop. And a little extra headroom is always good, just in case 1 J tube out of 4 gets plugged up.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store