Overflow styles

Robert Fling

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2015
I planned on doing a trickle tower style sump and the next chamber being filled with submerged ceramic rings and the last chamber will be the return pump and the heaters. I think I'm going to go with a 6x turnover rate which will be 1350 GPH the pump will have a head height of about 5 feet how do I determine pump size?

Reactions: Black Manta

Robert Fling

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2015
I planned on doing a trickle tower style sump and the next chamber being filled with submerged ceramic rings and the last chamber will be the return pump and the heaters. I think I'm going to go with a 6x turnover rate which will be 1350 GPH the pump will have a head height of about 5 feet how do I determine pump size?

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
If you have a few different brands of pumps your interested in the manufacturer should have technical data sheet that will tell you the GPH at different head pressure. Should be a simple thing of looking on line for that information.
If you wanted to get really into it there are head calculators on line where you can plan your whole plumbing system out and find the total head loss.
Do you have any specific pumps your interested in? I have been reading good things about the jeboa D.C. Pumps lately.
I have never used them so I can't vouch.

Black Manta

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2017
Memphis, Tennessee
The size of your sump will depend on how much space you need for your different chambers, mechanical,biological,and chemical if you wish to include it. But you will also need a chamber for equipment unless you want leave the heater in the tank.
Then there's the return pump.will it be inside the sump or an external pump?
You will need to decide how much turn over you plan to have and size the pump by that. So that will effect the sump as well . If your different chambers are not properly sized they may not be able to keep up with the flow you have chose.

I would recommend that you start with the pump and flow rates and size everything from that.
Agreed. That is sound advice!!!

Black Manta

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2017
Memphis, Tennessee
Got lucky with my sump did not start completely from scratch.( took old parts from used systems)
I had a hang on overflow box from a reef system I collected from a garage sale.
I already had a small pond pump for return ranked 900-1000 gph
Used post scrubbers, chemi-pure and purigen along with pond filter pads and light diffusers and plexi glass for baffles
used 40 gal rubbermaid tote on 125 gal tank.
Used a spray bar on the return to further aerate water.

Robert Fling

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2015
My boss uses danner mag drive pumps on his large systems, he has 3 model 12s on his 1500 gallon salt water tank I'm probably going to go with one of those but maybe a larger danner pump. I'll check them out a bit more after I get the tank. I did some research on the bean overflow and I think I'm going to go with that style

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
The bean animal over flow is a good system, really quite. Just be sure to use a gate valve for the fine adjustment of the full siphon line. I have installed them with ball value and they work because you also have the durso and emergency lines but a gate is so much easier to adjust.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Mag drives are great but they can get a little noisy as they get a little age on them.
I have had some that stay quite and some that get loud it's just hit or miss with these.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store