Overhead filters?

isde02

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2011
Ohio
If anybodys using a overhead filter how do you like it compared to sumps? For the people that don't know heres some pics of some overhead filters:

ohf.jpg

ohf2.jpg

2pac

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2011
So. California
Never seen it before. I like it. More "fail-safe" than a sump. I've never liked sumps due to greater number of failure points. BUT its pretty unsightly. A canopy to cover would be nice

ElectricBlueSeanBurch

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2010
Panaque Paradise
Never seen it before. I like it. More "fail-safe" than a sump. I've never liked sumps due to greater number of failure points. BUT its pretty unsightly. A canopy to cover would be nice
If you design a sump right there isn't really alot that could go wrong. Most people have this opinion until they have a good sump...

isde02

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2011
Ohio
Yea, some people put canopies over them. Its simpler than a sump, you can even use a powerhead to push the water up in it, and no plumbing.

Oughtsix

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Redmond, OR
I don't really care for the look of hang on back filters. I think hang on top filters are just as visually displeasing if not more... depending on implementation. I don't really care for big canopies either.

If I made one I would work very hard to make it look like it was part of the tank. If I had several breeding tanks that weren't show tanks I think overhead filters would be a great solution.

jadedreams

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2011
Oklahoma
I've thought about trying one, recently got a used tank that has a large canopy where I could set one up totally hidden. Would be curious to see what people who have them say about them.

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
I don't really care for the look of hang on back filters. I think hang on top filters are just as visually displeasing if not more... depending on implementation. I don't really care for big canopies either.

If I made one I would work very hard to make it look like it was part of the tank. If I had several breeding tanks that weren't show tanks I think overhead filters would be a great solution.
You think overhead filtration is ugly?

I'm just teasing man, I know that was just a temporary setup. :D

What I like most about overhead filtration is that you don't need a huge pump to overcome the extra head pressure that you would otherwise need with an under-the-tank sump. I'm a big fan over overhead filters because they are more efficient, although I've never run one. But I agree with Oughtsix...they can be unsightly, especially if you are not able to hide the pump in the tank.

View attachment 804084

littlewangzfan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2010
Guam
I use it on my 280g and been satisfied so far, just added 100gph canister because of messy fishes. I could have built a sump, in fact Oughtsix gave me advise on how to do it but I chickened out lol. Here's my setup:
026.JPG
031.JPG

026.JPG

031.JPG

jft

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2010
PA
Looks awesome ,who made overhead acrylic boxes or were they store bought??

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store