overhead planter sump output?

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
hey folks,

been working on a 3' overhead planter sump for my 75 gallon tank. plan to use it on a 95 or 110 gallon tank eventually but trying to get it running well first. gonna pack it with a foam prefilter, about 5 lbs. of bio media and some ferns and grasses.

the biggest problem im having is with controlling the output. it is noisy! i have a 1.5" drain and my supply is from a rio 3100.

anyone have any success making a somewhat quiet planter sump? ive tried several configurations on the output but can't seem to avoid the slurping sound of the drain or the rushing water sounds.

think maybe my flow is too much? or the drain too large?

thanks everybody.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
You say you have tried some different configuration. What have you tried? A picture of your setup may help as well.
Without knowing any advice Is a guess and may be something that has already been excluded.
My first thought would be a durso style.
You may also look into a bean animal or herbie style drain.
These usually rely on more than one pipe so they may not work in your situation.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Agree with BIG-G BIG-G . Pictures would help a lot.

Noise often but not always comes from water rushing down a partially empty drain. (In other words, it's not running full siphon because the water flow is less than the pipe can handle.) However, many other causes like vibrating parts, cavitation, unexpected motor noise, water splashing at discharge, etc. can cause what some people interpret as unexpectedly loud noise.

Last edited:
Reactions: Backfromthedead

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
ok I'll set it up and get some pictures for you. im always at work when i post on here.

i was considering the durso type drain. might try that tonight. the main noise problem is coming from the siphon i think. its like a loud slurping.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
thanks for your input guys. just tinkering around this evening i managed to fix the problem somewhat. i put a strainer over the drain which seemed to stop the gurgling and slurping noises. now theres just kind of a waterfall noise from inside the drain pipe. thinking of maybe rrducing the drain to a 1 1/4 and dialimg back the pump maybe. idk.
20171108_171745.jpg 20171108_171757.jpg 20171108_171805.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store