Overlooked baitfish

You interested in any baitfish type fish?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Possibly

• ?

• Total voters

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
The number of "bait" fish that can do well in an aquaria is quite extensive. Many are as easy or easier than the topicals that are kept and can have more interesting behaviors. I would recommend them to anyone. What is best, depends on your setup and what you have locally to collect.
agreed!

Reactions: Itsadeepbluesea

dredcon

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2006
Thibodaux, LA
Lots of marine or brackish fish sold for bait make great aquarium fish. Here in the gulf coast gulf killifish are very common in the bait stores and can tolerate a very wide range of water quality conditions. For me the coolest fish I've seen sold as bait is the fat sleeper. Usually sold as star minnow or storm minnows. I was definitely shocked the first time I ran into them sold as bait.

Moontanman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2008
Cape Fear, NC
blogs.scienceforums.net
I catch popeye mullet at about 1/2 to 1 inch and they are great school fish, they grow fast and get to be about a foot long in an aquarium.

I like silversides as well, difficult to transport but once established are easy to keep!

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
If you have a 120+ gal saltwater or reef tank
Then pinfish are a great addition

Mushutherhinoscorpion Mushutherhinoscorpion
They school and enjoy shrimp quite readily.

Pompano, if you got a little room in a saltwater tank, make an interesting addition, they are millisecond eaters and probably wouldn't be safe with cleaner shrimp or firemouth scallops.
Pompano are cool deep bodied fish. They get a max of about 18 inches.

If you got a decent open saltwater pond, perhaps you could keep Round Scad, a semi-pelagic fish that loves to eat copepods in the wild, they grow about a foot long and prefer somewhat open enviorments.

Mushutherhinoscorpion

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2017
If you have a 120+ gal saltwater or reef tank
Then pinfish are a great addition

Mushutherhinoscorpion Mushutherhinoscorpion
They school and enjoy shrimp quite readily.

Pompano, if you got a little room in a saltwater tank, make an interesting addition, they are millisecond eaters and probably wouldn't be safe with cleaner shrimp or firemouth scallops.
Pompano are cool deep bodied fish. They get a max of about 18 inches.

If you got a decent open saltwater pond, perhaps you could keep Round Scad, a semi-pelagic fish that loves to eat copepods in the wild, they grow about a foot long and prefer somewhat open enviorments.
Jacks!

Belial

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2008
illinois
i always kept creek chubs and goldfish together when i was younger because i could catch them at a creek by my cousins house. they were bigtime eaters and loved to eat other minnows. i'd get rosys at petsmart and the people working there would ask what i'm feeding to so i'd be like "a big minnow" and they'd look at me like i had lobsters crawling out of my ears. i'd love to keep some again if i could catch some

Reactions: KATALEKEEPER

dredcon

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2006
Thibodaux, LA
When I get my 800gal... they would need more open space...that's just my 2 cents...my 240 to small ..I like them I never thought about a Jack!! I never see them in any of the LFS I go too!
Gulf butterfish look and act similar (but not as aggressive) to jacks, but don't get very large. I would imagine anything in the genius Peprilus would work if you could get them back to the tank alive. I had a buddy that kept them and they took to eating frozen shrimp fairly easily I think.

Mushutherhinoscorpion

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2017
Gulf butterfish look and act similar (but not as aggressive) to jacks, but don't get very large. I would imagine anything in the genius Peprilus would work if you could get them back to the tank alive. I had a buddy that kept them and they took to eating frozen shrimp fairly easily I think.
Awww yes! They would look nice! a schooling hord of "harvestfish" with schooling chromies !!!.....my only Chris cern would be the "monos" I have.......since they clean each other! & read you can keep them with freshwater Angelfish because they look alike & chew off the anglefish long Fins! ....so would they chew the longer fin on any of this genius!?

Shadows-on-the-Sand-Kiosk-Individual-Animal-Page-HarvestFish.png Screenshot_20190206-165015_Video Player.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store