Overstocked?

adamsfishes

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2016
Changing water with buckets isn't sustainable. You should be changing about 50 gallons of water, and you will get sick of that. When you get sick of it, your water quality will suffer, and you fish will get sick and die.

I personally don't like the Python Clean and Fill system because it requires that the water be running to create suction. That wastes a lot of water, and I don't like wasting water unnecessarily. It works though if it's your best option.

That's why I use a pump. If your tube run isn't too long, you can do it without a pump by sucking on the tube to create suction. My tube run is almost 40', so I have to use a pump. I tried; I just don't suck hard enough. :ROFL:

sevs and sajicas for me

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2017
I use gravity for all of my tanks. The ones upstairs drains very fast as the other end of the tube is thrown out the window which causes a ton of suction. Unfortunately my larger tank downstairs drains very slow this way as the direction change is only a few feet. I'm looking into using a pump for downstairs. Something I can mount underneat the tank and feed to a standard filter intake that will pull the water out and expel it outside.

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Sarahmander

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2018
San Diego
Changing water with buckets isn't sustainable. You should be changing about 50 gallons of water, and you will get sick of that. When you get sick of it, your water quality will suffer, and you fish will get sick and die.

I personally don't like the Python Clean and Fill system because it requires that the water be running to create suction. That wastes a lot of water, and I don't like wasting water unnecessarily. It works though if it's your best option.

That's why I use a pump. If your tube run isn't too long, you can do it without a pump by sucking on the tube to create suction. My tube run is almost 40', so I have to use a pump. I tried; I just don't suck hard enough. :ROFL:
Yeah... exactly the issue. It takes me 2 hours to do the 30% and it's a workout hauling water to the bathtub and back. I just want to make sure that the water is safe when I put it in the tank because I use tap

sevs and sajicas for me

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2017
Some people may scoff at this but I put tap water directly into my tank. I dose the tank a minute or so before I start running the tap water in with prime (enough for the entire tank volume) and then start running the tap directly in. I've done this for years and never killed my cycle.

Sarahmander

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2018
San Diego
Some people may scoff at this but I put tap water directly into my tank. I dose the tank a minute or so before I start running the tap water in with prime (enough for the entire tank volume) and then start running the tap directly in. I've done this for years and never killed my cycle.
Yeah I've read that you can't OD on Prime, so you can drop it in beforehand and it'll treat the tap you add. I'm going to look into getting a pump. Probably cheaper than a python anyway

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Your thoughts on the trash can method?

adamsfishes

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2016
I put the Prime in my tank as I start refilling. I just put the full amount in the tank all at once, in my case 4 capfuls. For your tank, just add two capfuls to the tank as you start refilling. It'll do its job, no worries.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Yeah I've read that you can't OD on Prime, so you can drop it in beforehand and it'll treat the tap you add. I'm going to look into getting a pump. Probably cheaper than a python anyway
Well, you can overdose. The first symptoms will be fish gasping for air because Prime has reduced the oxygen in the water. But it takes more than 5x dosage for entire tank volume for water temperatures less than 86F. If over that temperature (86f), you should only use 1/2 dose of Prime for the entire tank volume.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store