P. schroderi - Flower Ray - Who has them?

tank125

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2005
Connecticut
Just trying to compile a list on here of who keeps this species. Please only add your name if you are willing to communicate with others about species. I do not think that many people keep this ray, I am confused as to why, I think that it is just because of Columbia's inability to ship healthy animals and practice good shipping methods. Quite a generalization, I know, but c'mon, I do not think that there is anything mysterious about the flower.

Currently I have 4. 14" Female & 8" Female both one year captives. Both acquired at around 4" disc size! One is a much better eater, will eat anything, the smaller is very picky and will only eat earth worms and live feeder fish (I rarely if ever use them). The larger is actually quite food aggressive as well. She will bite an 11" P. castexi when food is put in the tank. She tries to keep him from eating! Naturally I put in enough food for both and I spread it around, but she will stuff her mouth and continue to pounce on him and actually try to move him away from food! He has to grab food and "run" if he wants too eat! Anyone else experience this with a ray?

Other 2 I have had for 2 weeks, 4-5" discs, 1M & 1F. Only eating black worms, but as with all rays, they are still acclimating and will likely start taking different foods over the next month. These 2 are the result of importing 8 over the last 2 months. Yes, I lost 6 of them needlessly, due to poor shipping methods.

14"

8"

New Arrivals

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
nice flower rays.... i used to keep them found it to be best for them to be kept solo with only there own species... i do plan to keep them again though... ive had tiger rays out compete motoros for food but all my previous flowers were very docile and shy...

stingray94

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2007
Rhode Island
Nice rays. I hope you have a really big tank planned for flower rays and a castexi... I think a lot of people don't keep flowers because they get big and flower rays along with tigers are known to be more sensitive than other rays. Usual flowers can not be kept with motoros or other similiar rays because the other rays will eat all of the food before the flowers can. If I ever set up a pond or something similar I would get a couple flower rays.

rk59

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2005
Germany
It is not aggressive enough compared with motoros or leos etc. I used to have both species which are more aggressive to get food.

andersp90

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2007
Denmark
I cant answer? Wtf does this mean?

Forbidden

You do not have permission to access this document.

Web Server at monsterfishkeepers.com

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store