Pacu caught by kid in CA- news segment

Cardeater

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2018

This came up in my news feed even though I don't live in California. There's an article but the video shows more images of the fish.

Do you pacu/piranha experts agree with gaming that it appears to be a Pacu? As the segment says, hard to tell from the pic.

This is probably an example of someone releasing a pet into that creek?

Trouser Bark

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2022
That little kid probably wouldn't have gotten a piranha reeled in on monofilament line. It looks like a pacu to my eye though they both look strikingly similar. Young red belly pacu reportedly hang out in schools of piranha when they're young supposedly because they look so similar even the piranha can't tell that 'one of these things is not like the others'.

Reactions: tlindsey

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA

Cardeater

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2018
So I knew nothing about these fish but was intrigued by the description of the Pacu teeth as "human like." I did a Google search and I have to say that their teeth are creepy looking to me.

MatteoTheEnder22

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2020
Miami
There are Pacu from Uruguay, and Argentina that tolerate quite cool temps, and are considered a delicacy in certain Buenos Aires and other Argentine restaurants.
Here is an Argentine winter scene, in a river where Pacu are found, that is snow .
View attachment 1526158
There are pacu from Uruguay? I gotta go back down there soon and try to fish for em then.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
There are Pacu from Uruguay, and Argentina that tolerate quite cool temps, and are considered a delicacy in certain Buenos Aires and other Argentine restaurants.
Here is an Argentine winter scene, in a river where Pacu are found, that is snow .
View attachment 1526158
Ive never known this. Thank you. What is the species name?

IME red belly pacu die around 55F.

Pacu and silver dollar teeth:

Pacu, karamelka 2.JPGSilver dollar 4th dead wide bar 4.JPG

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019

This came up in my news feed even though I don't live in California. There's an article but the video shows more images of the fish.

Do you pacu/piranha experts agree with gaming that it appears to be a Pacu? As the segment says, hard to tell from the pic.

This is probably an example of someone releasing a pet into that creek?
Too bad people can’t keep stuff like this to themselves instead contacting F&G, the news etc…oh well

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store