Pacu fighting :(

Squirtle919

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
Within Earth
Hey guys,

Before anyone starts... I am very capable of giving my pacu away, I already have a home for them when large enough so please don't start some rant here, I wouldn't of got them if I knew they would out grow my tank which they will & have no where to go.

To begin.. it was time to move my RTC into the 8x4x3 about a week before there was an add for pacu for sale 5 ( they are not so easy to come by here ) My mate wanted 2-3 to add with his whom are 36-42 inch + very large this is why I never got them as I have seen large ones in his tank and they make it seem small but its just the size of the fish, after agreeing when they outgrew my tank he would house them in his we went ahead ( guy would only sell as a group )

Anyways I ended up getting 3 they are just under 2ft with my RTC 3ftish & Murray cod @ 2ft+, now two of these pacu will go at one another every now and then for no reason, once it builds up they swim in circles and keep biting one another until the cod or rtc swims into them and they swim away, at first I was told it was breeding by a friend but 2 days later I suspected fighting, now they do stop swimming in circles biting one another at times and sit together but in all seriousness they are removing a ton of scales from one another & I dont think fish like it that rough :3?

My question is why would they fight? The water is fine no issue, its only two of them the third is fine they dont bite it or anything and vice versa, tank size is yes too small for full grown pacu but for there size I think a 8x4x3 is quite reasonable? add into the equation the fish came out of a 6x2x2 when there was 5 of them and the owner had 0 issues for over a year.

I am quite lost as to why they fight & if it can be stopped, My friend who took the other 2 has no issues like this and said his never fought with one another over the past 7 years, he has seen circle dancing but without the rapid biting.

If I can not solve the issue I plan to take the more aggressive one out and take it to my friends tank, I like them but I took my cichlids out of the tank because they fought and now I just have bigger fish fighting >_<

Here I was thinking pacu are gentle giants, seems my RTC & cod are more placid.

Thanks in advance.

Samir

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2015
I would say this could be the common behavior of pacus as I have observed the same.

Oscaric

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
I have 2 pacu and they both fight as well. not sure what the reason is but it could be territorial. as they grow up, it happens often. b

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store