Paddlefish anyone?

Muckfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2022
I got them from predatory fins. What pellets did you feed? I am having a hard time finding a small enough 1mm floating pellet most are sinking. The ones I have found are grain based and the paddlefish reject them.

I have quality larger pellets but they seem to struggle to swallow then spit them back out even after hydrating them first.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

Moontanman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2008
Cape Fear, NC
blogs.scienceforums.net
I got them from predatory fins. What pellets did you feed? I am having a hard time finding a small enough 1mm floating pellet most are sinking. The ones I have found are grain based and the paddlefish reject them.

I have quality larger pellets but they seem to struggle to swallow then spit them back out even after hydrating them first.
Mine came with a small supply of floating pellets but they went for hikari floating cichlid pellets. How big are your fish at this time? Have you tried small feeder guppies?

Muckfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2022
They are 8-10”. I ordered some 1.5mm floating pellets that are 50% protein from an aquaculture company. They came non labeled but the paddlefish are eating them really well. Usually they do a few passes grab a pellet then spit it out. With these pellets they are skimming the surface and snapping them up like crazy.

I have tried live gambusia but they weren’t interested. They did eat a few that were dead and floating. I am relieved they are eating now with enthusiasm.

Muckfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2022
I added two Megalodoras uranoscopus to help clean up the pellets that sink. I am working on culturing some daphnia to feed them as well.
Doing an 80% water change daily and hopefully will have them moved on to my pond by next spring.

troutking

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2008
They are 8-10”. I ordered some 1.5mm floating pellets that are 50% protein from an aquaculture company. They came non labeled but the paddlefish are eating them really well. Usually they do a few passes grab a pellet then spit it out. With these pellets they are skimming the surface and snapping them up like crazy.

I have tried live gambusia but they weren’t interested. They did eat a few that were dead and floating. I am relieved they are eating now with enthusiasm.
Which aquaculture company did you order your 1.5 mm floating pellets from?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store