Paddlefish

mkman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2005
CA
I'll give them a try sometime and let you all know how I feel about them. I'm up for a challenge :)

mkman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2005
CA
yep a hatchery! They said they will ship only to California if Fish and Game said it was ok.....well I got an email from a Fish and Game official saying it was ok........:)

Acheloos

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2008
Germany
bestiarium.kryptozoologie.net
Just to add something about classification, paddlefish ARE sturgeons. They are highly specialized and unusual, but they are sturgeons.
I have once seen one in an public indoor pond, but after some weeks it wasn´t there anymore. I have also read a report of a fish breeder which had young paddlefish and young salmons, and the paddlefish decimated the salmons dramatically by eating them (I have to add that the salmons were not that much smaller than the paddlefish). They will also learn to eat floating pellets, so it is probably much easier to feed them than many people think. But still this is surely no aquarium fish. Possibly a candidate for big ponds, but not for tanks, except for very small specimens.

rjmtx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2007
Louisiana
Paddlefish are not sturgeons. Paddlefish are in the family Polyodontidae, and sturgeons are in the family Acipenseridae. They share the order Acipenseriformes. Thus, paddlefish and sturgeons are related, but very different fishes.

Saying paddlfish are sturgeons is like saying darters are cichlids.

Acheloos

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2008
Germany
They are very closely related compared to other fish, even if they may look very freakish. Originally it was even thought they were a kind of freshwater shark, only later it turned out that their closest relatives are sturgeons. And even if they don´t look at first like sturgeons, they have still a lot of anatomical similarities, like the cartilagunous skeleton for example.

rjmtx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2007
Louisiana
Their (the Chinese and American paddlefish) closest living reletatives are sturgeons. They're still only linked at the order level, which is pretty high up on the taxanomic ladder. Most likely they had many other fishes in that order that were more like paddlefish, but have been long extinct.

Your statement that paddlefish are sturgeons was just wrong and I wanted to correct it.

Acheloos

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2008
Germany
Yes I know the giant chinese paddlefish is the closest relative of the north american paddlefish, but I already included it when I wrote paddlefish in general. But you are correct, paddlefish and sturgeons are only sister-taxons. The first known fossil paddlefish are already more than 65 Million years old, and surey they splitted off the original branch very early.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
I wondered if Chinese paddlefish is still alive or already extinct?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store