Painting Background While Tank Is Running

robmcd

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2007
Laguna Beach
Acrylic hobby paint from Michaels has no fumes and will work on an acrylic surface.

Reactions: midasman714 and RD.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
What I've always done, is spray paint a styrofoam panel the size of the back wall with matte black, and tape it to the back.
In that way, if at some point the front panel gets scratched up, I can just turn the tank around and use the unscratched side for viewing.
The styrofoam gives a extra little protection for the back side, and in the case of of a power outage, with glass adds some extra insulation when power goes out, I'd often tape styrofoam to the end panels for extra insulation, and cut a piece for the front, just in case.

Reactions: midasman714

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Acrylic hobby paint from Michaels has no fumes and will work on an acrylic surface.
Agreed, that's what I used - on my glass tanks. Scrapes off with a razor easy peasy, not sure how difficult that may or may not be on an acrylic tank?

midasman714

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2007
Fountain Valley, CA
What I've always done, is spray paint a styrofoam panel the size of the back wall with matte black, and tape it to the back.
In that way, if at some point the front panel gets scratched up, I can just turn the tank around and use the unscratched side for viewing.
The styrofoam gives a extra little protection for the back side, and in the case of of a power outage, with glass adds some extra insulation when power goes out, I'd often tape styrofoam to the end panels for extra insulation, and cut a piece for the front, just in case.
This is definitely a good option that I have not considered. It makes it easier if I want to change things in the future.

eon aquatics

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2021
i would probably never paint the back of my aquariums, in case you want to make it like a center piece or something someday

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
This is definitely a good option that I have not considered. It makes it easier if I want to change things in the future.
It works, but IMO is not as aesthetically pleasing as a painted on background.

i would probably never paint the back of my aquariums, in case you want to make it like a center piece or something someday

Acrylic hobby paint comes off rather easily with a razor scraper, at least when applied to glass.

Reactions: midasman714

midasman714

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2007
Fountain Valley, CA
I found this online. Do you think this 64oz bottle will be enough for the 8'x2' surface area of the 240?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store