Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Place one female with all males

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Beardogcichlids

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2017
I recently acquired 7 WC festae that were between 3 and 4 inches. Over the past month they've all grown anywhere from one half to an inch in length. (Thought they were slow growers but I'm pleasantly surprised).
Anyways they are starting to show some adult coloring and I appear to have 4 females and 3 males. My question is what's the best way to get multiple pairs out of the group? I have the tanks and space to split them up however, whenever.
Should I split them now and hope for pairs or wait for pairs to form then move out the others at that time?
Should I select my best female and leave her with all the males?
Should I chose my best male and leave him with all the females?
Should I split them based off of gender now and let the females get more size before Pairing?
I could ask a million questions and get a million answers, but I'm just looking for any advice from someone who's worked with these particular fish in the past.

Reactions: cichlidsickness

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
If It was me and I wanted to have multiple pairs form. I would put the group in a tank and let the dominate pair form naturally.
Then move all the others to the next tank till you get another pair, repeat as many times as you want pairs or have space for.
It's easier to get pairs like this than to pick the male you want and the female you want and try to force a pair, and the pair bond will be stronger IMO.

Beardogcichlids

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2017
If It was me and I wanted to have multiple pairs form. I would put the group in a tank and let the dominate pair form naturally.
Then move all the others to the next tank till you get another pair, repeat as many times as you want pairs or have space for.
It's easier to get pairs like this than to pick the male you want and the female you want and try to force a pair, and the pair bond will be stronger IMO.
That was what my plan was, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't too far off. I've heard these fish can get crazy aggro and was afraid a pair may form over night and I'd get home from work the next day with nothing but two fish left in the tank.
Like I said originally I've had no experience with festae or any WC cichlids before for that matter and didn't know if the rules may be different. Btw your profile pic is one of the reasons I have these fish at all. BEAUTIFUL
On a different note, been offering gambusia that I've caught from a local pond (after quarantine) about once a week as a snack. Think this could be partially responsible for their quick growth or is an inch/month normal?
They've also been getting a varied diet of pellets, flakes, freeze dried brine shrimp, and the occasional frozen bloodworm.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
In my experience festae get a bad rap when it comes to information about growth. Most everyone says they are slow growing. I guess compared to some other cichlids that may be true.
I have found that with ample space and quality foods, proper maintenance they grow fairly quickly.
Thanks for the compliment btw.

cichlidsickness

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2011
Ceres, CA
I think what Big G suggested on post #2 is the way to go.

Buuuuuuut....if you've got a male that stands out amongst the other males and a female that stands out amongst the other females, then you may want to try and pair the dream pair up? You'll still have 2 other pairs you can pair off "naturally". I suppose if they all look good (i.e. all have great markings, color, etc.), then it really isnt worth the hassle of forcing a pair.

Just some food for thought. I know I can count a number of times when I just wish my female [insert cichlid name here] would have paired up with a better looking male or vice versa.

NW Cichlid Keith

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2016
Atlanta, Georgia
In my experience festae get a bad rap when it comes to information about growth. Most everyone says they are slow growing. I guess compared to some other cichlids that may be true.
I have found that with ample space and quality foods, proper maintenance they grow fairly quickly.
Thanks for the compliment btw.
I've found they grow fast if they are the dominant fish - if they feel bullied in the slightest, especially when young, that really impacts the growth

Reactions: BIG-G

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
I've found they grow fast if they are the dominant fish - if they feel bullied in the slightest, especially when young, that really impacts the growth
I agree. I have had many grow very quickly to around 4 or 5 inches in 6 months to over 7 or 8in a year at that point I do believe they tend to slow down.
But I see lots of people recommend getting Festae for their undersized aquariums because they are "slow growing". I just do not agree with that. If in a proper tank they can keep pace with other cichlids, maybe not an oscar lol

cichlidsickness

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2011
Ceres, CA
Glad for all the feedback. Really looking forward to getting some pairs out of this group. These have been holy grail fish for me for a while now.
They've been holy grail fish for me for some years now too! I got me about 70 growouts right now and am looking forward to seeing how they turn out.

Speaking of all this, where are the pics of your festae??

Beardogcichlids

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2017
70!?! That's awesome! Breed them yourself or know someone who does?
Pics will come later. They are currently in one of my bottom tanks, an old 135 that has really bad scratched glass. Pics don't turn out well...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store