Palembangensis eggs

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
My old pair laid eggs a few times before...

you’ll be able to tell if they are fertile if they are semi translucent after a few days to a week or so... if you plan on moving them, make sure to have some light flow over them over them, as the male if i remember correctly was the one that fans the eggs till they hatch...

if they start getting a fuzz on them they are definitely infertile and will need to be removed...

Finally if they do hatch, be sure to get some live baby brine shrimp ready, as they are really tiny and can be picky eaters...

Unfortunately for me i didnt have much luck raising the young to adulthood due to inadequate setup at the time, but good luck with yours and hopefully you’ll have some nice off-spring...

erythrinus

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2011
california
Well the eggs vanished a few hours after I saw them just as I was readying a new tank to incubate. No make was fanning them either so they were probably duds.

thanks - hopefully they’ll do it again...

Killduv

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Well the eggs vanished a few hours after I saw them just as I was readying a new tank to incubate. No make was fanning them either so they were probably duds.

thanks - hopefully they’ll do it again...
Sorry to hear what happened. Good luck in the near future with this. I have a feeling it will turn out well for you.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Sorry to hear what happened. Good luck in the near future with this. I have a feeling it will turn out well for you.
it will probably happen again within the next few months if they are already breeding... look for extra bite marks on one of your puffers as that will likely be the female thats laying...

at least that was the case with my pair, the male kept leaving bite marks all over the female which i presumed was from mating behaviour...

Reactions: Killduv

Killduv

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
it will probably happen again within the next few months if they are already breeding... look for extra bite marks on one of your puffers as that will likely be the female thats laying...

at least that was the case with my pair, the male kept leaving bite marks all over the female which i presumed was from mating behaviour...
Yes that sounds right. The female will fatten up I am sure once again. Also a good way to sex a group of the smaller less aggressive puffers. I have seen videos with various males hanging on to females.

Reactions: Fat Homer

erythrinus

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2011
california
That helps. There are 3 individuals on that side but one is particularly fat and aggressive with food. A smaller one was hanging out near the eggs and is still in the vicinity. I think this one may be the female. The third pic is probably the male lurking in the back.

0571E8D8-7334-4611-AEC5-4A0C0B6D66EA.jpeg

BD23E927-D039-4C59-B429-62416D27B49D.jpeg

C28F2A61-B4F4-4D96-A8AC-558542828E17.jpeg

Attachments

erythrinus

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2011
california
So I found eggs again this morning. 4 individuals in my group of 7 are on the opposite, left side of the tank. There is a dark individual that is always next to the driftwood with the eggs, and two larger, lighter individuals forward to that one on right side of the tank where the eggs are. The one on the left is the more aggressive of those two. I’m guessing the one by the eggs is the male, and one or both of the two larger ones the female(s). The “male” is not fanning the eggs like I’ve read they do.
I thought about taking the driftwood out but I don’t want to interrupt the dynamic. The “male” is the one visible in the pics, and the dominant “female” to the left in the first pic.
Do you all think the eggs are duds, should I remove them, and should I consider removing the other puffers? I’d really like to breed this species. Right now I’m leaving everything as is...

9A34A219-5683-473F-A0D2-235E69A52391.jpeg

EFA75490-7235-4529-B18C-AECC497D496E.jpeg

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Bit hard to tell if they are fertile or not just in those pics... as for removing the other puffers, thats really up to you...

Although i would say that removing the eggs maybe easier than removing the puffers if you plan on trying to raise them?

If however you plan on keeping everything as is, just watch out for any aggressive behaviour from the male thats guarding the eggs...

erythrinus

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2011
california
The male is shooing away any other puffer that approaches, but is not actually biting. I’m pretty sure I know which the female is now as well. I’ve been watching them all day. The eggs are new so it’ll take a few days to see if they darken. I think I’m going to leave everything as is and if the eggs start to develop, I’ll move them out. The male is fanning them now, so I suspect they were just laid last night. If nothing else, its cool to watch... for the record, I have never had this group harm each other in any way; just the occasional menacing when one strays into another’s space, and really just the current male. He’s probably yl been setting up shop to breed longer than I realized. The group of 4 to the left never bicker and are usually right next to each other. I guess they’re the beta males/females.

Reactions: Fat Homer
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store