Paleo-Aquarium

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Folks!!! Oddballer has opened a thread to comment/critique this presentation. I'd like to leave this thread closed. I intend on adding to this thread and think members will enjoy it more if they don't have to scroll past posts without pics. I hope you understand. If not, let me know in Oddballer's thread.

Paleo-Aquarium Thread Discussion...

Death Pony

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
This is a cool thread!!! Where do you get all of these fossils? This is too cool to see how far back gar and arowana existed. I kinda wish some of those armored fish were still around.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Found a few more today. Plus, I think I know where my 125 million y/o aro fossil is. It's under a gar fossil that I'm going to get to maybe tonight.

Anywho, first up is a needlefish called Belone sp. It's from the Miocene deposits of Fiume Marecchia, Italy. His un-ID'd last meal is in his stomach. It appears to be an elver.

Belone sp..jpg

Reactions: DrownedFishonFire

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Next is a real oldie. This is a body shield of Coccosteus orvikni. He's from the Upper Devonian of Voronej USSR. The other pic is of a notochord support the fish used before the evolution of vertebrae.

Coccosteus orvikni 2.jpg

Coccosteus orvikni hd.jpg

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Also from Wyoming is this large "mass-mortality" slab that consists of a few thousand Knightia sp. (alta?). They're in an ash (volcanic) layer where the whole school died during a geological event. I've also included a single specimen closeup.

Knightia-mort.jpg

Knightia-mort-CU.jpg

• Love

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Here are a couple of crayfish just to change things up a bit. The first is a dual specimen piece consisting of Pseudacastacus hakelensis (crayfish) and a young flying fish called Exocoetoides sp. They're from the upper Cretaceous of Hakel, Byblos, Lebanon.

Pseudastacus Exocoetoides.jpg

• Love

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Here we have 2 pieces from the same species. In the red circle is a fang and jaw from a tusked herring called Enchodus sp. of the cretaceous of Morocco. The other piece is a series of vertebrae from the same species but, a different formation.

Enchodus jaw n verts.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store