Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
Have you tested your water?
No
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
Did a 35% water-change on Sunday (2days ago) & this evening everybody is breathing fast-fast; everybody but the ABK & juv.arowana (air breathers) that is. Nobody looks particularly uncomfortable: good colour, moving well & properly oriented, fins upright etc, but a bit skittish & nobody freaked for their kibble at bedtime.
Other tanks got same rain-tank water & everything's fine.
Thoughts?

Only difference/change in that tank is addition of the arowana, also on Sunday. He doesn't seem to be stressing anybody though trying to get him to eat is more protein than usual for that system, but nothing sits/rots still. I'm hoping I moved the wave-maker & there's not the usual agitation & oxygenation, but they've gone 50hrs without power without losses, yes to panting but they still had/have appetite.

No, not tested the water. Of course I can't say "It's fine" without testing, but that it's 50hrs new & same water as with more delicate fish in adjacent systems and the same water as last & previous weeks. I'm comfortable saying that it's very unlikely to be the new water, but there might be new or residual issues.

So...
I've re-set the wave-maker & filter jet to cross the surface (to arowana's annoyance) & added a tablespoon of sea-salt (100gal tank).
Fingers-crossed it's trivial, I'll swap another 25% tomorrow afternoon & give the can-filter a proper once-over just in case. I'm writing more for worry attenuation & emotional support ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store