Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
Yesterday took a few shots of the new guy, after moving him to his tank

DSC_3683.jpg

DSC_3681.jpg
If only he would like the driftwood or the rocks to settle down on, instead of the ugly filter .

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Mine likes to hide under my filter (guessing coz its dark)...

But agree with everyone else, great looking shots!!!

Reactions: headbanger_jib

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
Mine likes to hide under my filter (guessing coz its dark)...

But agree with everyone else, great looking shots!!!
I don't want to derail but how's the interaction with yours? I know its not fahaka level..just curious

Reactions: Fat Homer

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I don't want to derail but how's the interaction with yours? I know its not fahaka level..just curious
Mine is actually somewhat active...

Basically each morning around 30min after lights turn on, he’ll start swimming around the tank trying to get my attention to feed him...

If i dont feed him in a timely manner, he’ll normally go back under the filter and then continue going in and out to see if im going to feed him or not...

However, once hes been fed for the day, he tends to hide till the next day once again...

Reactions: DMD123

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
Mine is actually somewhat active...

Basically each morning around 30min after lights turn on, he’ll start swimming around the tank trying to get my attention to feed him...

If i dont feed him in a timely manner, he’ll normally go back under the filter and then continue going in and out to see if im going to feed him or not...

However, once hes been fed for the day, he tends to hide till the next day once again...
So you feed them every day?

I feed almost all my fish once in two days.
Do you think that would be a big problem. My mbu is a slow grower may be because of this feeding schedule that I follow, almost an year and a few months, the growth is from 4" - 8"

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
So you feed them every day?

I feed almost all my fish once in two days.
Do you think that would be a big problem. My mbu is a slow grower may be because of this feeding schedule that I follow, almost an year and a few months, the growth is from 4" - 8"
Tbh, i’d never usually recommend feeding any puffer daily... But for my hairy, he seems to know when hes hungry and when hes not...

For example, he’s pretty good in the sense he wont puposely overfill himself with food...
During the first week having him, he would only eat till his belly was slightly round, then automatically retreat to his hiding area... From there i kind of gaugaed how much he should eat each time...

Fastforward to today, he will have days where he looks like hes hungry by actively swimming around, but if i place food in the tank infront of him (using tongs), he doesnt show any interest and will ignore it, on those days i just skip feeding him and wait till he darts around the next day trying to grab my attention again before feeding again...

So really i would say it depends on the individual puffer and their eating habits how often and how much you should feed...

Reactions: headbanger_jib

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
regarding your MBU, what size was he when you got him and how big of a tank???

Personally i’ve never owned one due to tank size requirements, but i would suspect them to grow about the same speed as a fahaka, which is approx 1-1.5” a month till they reach approx 12”

If your MBU is over 12” though, then that growth rate sounds about right...

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
Tbh, i’d never usually recommend feeding any puffer daily... But for my hairy, he seems to know when hes hungry and when hes not...

For example, he’s pretty good in the sense he wont puposely overfill himself with food...
During the first week having him, he would only eat till his belly was slightly round, then automatically retreat to his hiding area... From there i kind of gaugaed how much he should eat each time...

Fastforward to today, he will have days where he looks like hes hungry by actively swimming around, but if i place food in the tank infront of him (using tongs), he doesnt show any interest and will ignore it, on those days i just skip feeding him and wait till he darts around the next day trying to grab my attention again before feeding again...

So really i would say it depends on the individual puffer and their eating habits how often and how much you should feed...
My mbu eats till he would literally look ballooned up, so i started creating portions as to how much he would eat at one time, and since I started giving him crabs, he would leave the claws for the next day or for a few hours before eating them.

The suvatti is very picky about food and might eat or might not, just cannot say.

The baileyi is new but likes his food too much.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store