Parachromis Multifasciatus 'La Ceiba' growout thread

Wharf

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2018
Pasadena
Picked up 2 trios of 4-6 inch P. Multifasciatus 'La Ceiba" from COTA today. I am going to grow them out in hopes to get a bonded pair. My first try at Parachromis so I will see how it goes. They have some really striking patterns and I am quite happy with the pickup. Shameless plug for Dan...I am always impressed by the packing and quality of fish I recieve from COTA.

I wasn't really able to capture anything significant for Day 1 because of their skittishness and acclimation to their new environment; however, I was able to capture one of the little guys for a few seconds before he/she swam to the back with the others.

Wharf

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2018
Pasadena
Still not convinced these are Freddy’s (the la ceiba fish) but that for another conversation haha
Yeah, so they are assumed to be a natural mutation, right? I wonder if its between the old Freddie multifasciatus and the new Freddie Loiselli...errr or was Loiselli the OG Freddie? The cichlidroom companion is kind of confusing but I think it reports Loiselli was the fish that was originally collected as Friedrichsthalii. Maybe la ceiba has some Managuensis. Regardless, I like the patterns & markings of the La Ceiba so I am okay if they are a step child of the genus :)

Last edited:
Reactions: RD. and aussieman57

Wharf

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2018
Pasadena
I meant hybridization not mutation...in post above

newworld

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2008
chicago
Yes I thought this fish was possibly a hybrid w managuense supposedly this fish was collected in one isolated spot on the rio danto if I remember correctly, ive been there along with other area around la ceiba I didn’t find it that’s not to say really anything haha

• Love
Reactions: Wharf

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
you stated 2 trio’s?

you got 6pcs?

i’m looking into these, what size tank and tank mate’s are you doing? or just those and SD’s?

Wharf

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2018
Pasadena
I have a 180 gallon and plan to end up with a pair...I have 2 males and 4 females. I think the SD's are temprorary and I will probably rehome them eventually...I am curious if the triple beacon pleco and rhinodoras gallego that are in the tank will be tolerated. It all depends if the pair I end up with will tolerate anything else in the 180g. I would say most likely not, but I will have to see how it shakes out.

Reactions: dr exum

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
I have a 180 gallon and plan to end up with a pair...I have 2 males and 4 females. I think the SD's are temprorary and I will probably rehome them eventually...I am curious if the triple beacon pleco and rhinodoras gallego that are in the tank will be tolerated. It all depends if the pair I end up with will tolerate anything else in the 180g. I would say most likely not, but I will have to see how it shakes out.
In a 180 I don’t see a problem with the plecos as long as they can’t be swallowed. Give them cover to get away and you’re good.

Reactions: Wharf and dr exum
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store