Parachromis sp La Ceiba "Yellow Head"

balton777

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2007
Rowlett, Tx
fishfarm;2044513; said:
We went back to the small lagoon where these fish were caught this past May and someone is developing the property, all the trees were gone and the water was nasty with an oil slick on the surface.So looks like the wild population is gone. Ken

Those bassturds.

fishfarm

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2006
Georgia
www.facebook.com
cichlidinsomniac;2044685; said:
how big do these guys get?
Males max out at about a foot and females about 8", this is the biggest wild fish we caught, he was returned to the lagoon, most likely was caught again by a local and eaten or perished in the recent developement. This small lagoon is located in an area very close to La Ceiba in a rapidly developing area, most likely will have a hotel built on the site. Ken

post-327-1179616176[1].jpg

---XR---

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2006
Pa
They look like a varient of Mota's or Freddy's to myself. Are ethier of those species found in the area these were found or do you think these to be a different Species all together?

How many similar looking fish did you catch as these "yellow heads" and could they be a naturally occuring hybrid parachromis species?

bigriver

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2007
Florida
Ken, Im hoping thats not the last of the wild ones what a shame that would be.I have the ones i picked up a few months back from you and boy what awsome fish they are.I dont think ive ever seen a fish species so predatory as these are.Tim

darthodo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2006
Georgia
bigriver;2045059; said:
Ken, Im hoping thats not the last of the wild ones what a shame that would be.I have the ones i picked up a few months back from you and boy what awsome fish they are.I dont think ive ever seen a fish species so predatory as these are.Tim
How bout some pics there bigriver?

Aphilophus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2008
Dodge Center,MN
How much is shipping i always like some thing knew to try. also if i can talk my wife in to it. how do i order some, what about delivery they go to the airport or to my door?

fishfarm

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2006
Georgia
www.facebook.com
only 7 fish were ever caught, 5 are in captivity, 3 males and two females, all the fish were caught by Warren Van Varrick and he gave Rusty a pair and me a pair and he has a male, that's it. We went back this year and he was pissed at what they did to the place. We wanted to get a few more to add to the breeding program. Personnally I think they are a new species of Parachromis and had been calling them Parachromis sp. Warreni. We agreed on La Ceiba yellow head so people would know what they all were. Rusty believes they are a color morph or sub species of P. loiselli, but we have never found any others in the surrounding area and never found a loiselli type fish in any of the surrounding rivers, just that one lagoon. DNA work would confirm what they really are, I suggest no one cross these with any domestic fish and keep them pure as so few exist now. Warren caught a very similar fish this year several hundred miles to the south in the Moskito coast in a tributery off of Brus Lagoona, but it had a green body where this fish has a purple tint, especially in the sun. We'll have to go back again and try and find more of the green Parachromis as we didn't bring any back. The great thing about collecting is finding cool stuff like this. Anyone interested in these pm me. Ken

DSC_0511[1].JPG

DSC_0508[1].JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store