Parasite on my new Marble Goby

jenBLKAROWANA

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2005
773
4
0
50
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Tearing apart the tank, bleaching the rocks, and the tank...ECT...leting it dry out, bleach evaporates compleatly, it is safe, I have does this myself to rid my tank of a fish lice that infested the whole damn tank! I lost some fish because of "tainted" feeders, boy did I learn my lesson, they now get a "salty" fish bath before they are fed to any of my tanks!

Jen
 

DanDanUK

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2005
2,801
6
0
40
Leeds , England
jenBLKAROWANA said:
Tearing apart the tank, bleaching the rocks, and the tank...ECT...leting it dry out, bleach evaporates compleatly, it is safe, I have does this myself to rid my tank of a fish lice that infested the whole damn tank! I lost some fish because of "tainted" feeders, boy did I learn my lesson, they now get a "salty" fish bath before they are fed to any of my tanks!

Jen
Oh ***** !!! NOW I'M WORRIED

I've only had my goby for a 2 day's now and i pulled off about 30 parasites i have noticed one or two really small ones on the fish which tweezers are too small to get i'm gettin the treatment tommorrow morning ! at about 10. o.clock do you think i'll need to do a break down ????????????????????????????????????


:feedback: :feedback: :feedback:
 

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
11,582
83
0
confused, lost, and lonely
Fish lice are a worse problem because they are so mobile. I have had isolated anchor worms, esp. on cats and eels, and have always hand revoved them with a firm slow pullusing tweezers and them swabbed the wound with hydrogen peroxide. then keep an eye out for secondary infections. Remove them gently so as not to break off the head inside the fish. I never used any other way because the parasites were always few in number but I did follow up with salt and heat as for ich and never had any subsequent problems. I was always afraid meds would leave the anchor part still embedded and lead to fungus. The eggs and freeswimming stage are alot more vulnerable to elimination than are those of the argulus fish louse. If it was lice I'd say break it down but with anchorworms you can probably get by with salt. Look at the worms and watch for swollen yellowish egg cluster pairs where the body splits, a day of salt should destroy those even on the worms you can't get off yet, also keep a close eye on your other fish, hopefully you won't need stronger methods like a copper solution bath. Anchor worms seldom kill fish but can blind them.
 

DanDanUK

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2005
2,801
6
0
40
Leeds , England
guppy said:
Fish lice are a worse problem because they are so mobile. I have had isolated anchor worms, esp. on cats and eels, and have always hand revoved them with a firm slow pullusing tweezers and them swabbed the wound with hydrogen peroxide. then keep an eye out for secondary infections. Remove them gently so as not to break off the head inside the fish. I never used any other way because the parasites were always few in number but I did follow up with salt and heat as for ich and never had any subsequent problems. I was always afraid meds would leave the anchor part still embedded and lead to fungus. The eggs and freeswimming stage are alot more vulnerable to elimination than are those of the argulus fish louse. If it was lice I'd say break it down but with anchorworms you can probably get by with salt. Look at the worms and watch for swollen yellowish egg cluster pairs where the body splits, a day of salt should destroy those even on the worms you can't get off yet, also keep a close eye on your other fish, hopefully you won't need stronger methods like a copper solution bath. Anchor worms seldom kill fish but can blind them.
Excuse my ignorance but you refer to using salt can you explain in a bit more detail please i,e how much marine salt do you use i appreciate all advice given ! but would like you to give me a bit more detail please many thanks guppy lad !
 

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
11,582
83
0
confused, lost, and lonely
1-2 grams per liter for 5-6 days and raise the tank temp to mid 80s farenhiet. afterwards do a couple 75% waterchanges a day apart to get rid of excess salt and lower tank temp to your normal level. Most fish tolerate this quite well. On a recent thread someone, Miles I believe, said table salt works as the iodine level is only a trace and thinking about it I don't see how it would hurt at that level and might help lessen chance of fungus, a lot cheaper. Scaless fish seem to be more easily infected by anchorworms than scaled.
 

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
11,582
83
0
confused, lost, and lonely
Works out to around 1 lb/100 gal, or 1/2 kilo/400 liter. I use less salt than some I've met, you might ask some others also.
 
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store