Parasites or bad genes?

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I’ve had breeding kribs in my tank for well over a year now. Fry has slowed down over the last few months, but the adults from the first few spawns are all over the tank. Recently I found one to have a sunken stomach, down turned tail, and weird face. It swims a little off but acts pretty normal:838F2617-7363-4C6F-A4AA-683B8DAF1661.jpeg
No other fish is like this, and I haven’t added anything in months, so I can’t think of a mechanism for parasites to come (unless it hitchhiked on a feeder anubias leaf direct from an infected tank). It looks like it has parasites to me, but contracting them seems unlikely.

Could it just be one with bad genes that I never noticed till now? It does look deformed.

Reactions: tlindsey

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
In any spawn, you should expect that a few with have mutation/deformity issues, and many of these are not actually visible until they grow a bit.
I usually expect to cull at least few from each spawn
The one in the photo doesn't look the off to me, but I don't really have experience with that species.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I've bred Pelvicachromis Pulcher and as Duane stated there will always be a few fry born with defects and the one in the pic body looks slightly off to me also.

Reactions: Deadeye and kno4te

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Thanks for the help!
I just noticed his scales are also fuzzy, not sure if that means anything?

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Tbh don't know what would cause fuzzy scales but possibly the low male in rank and is getting picked on.
That could be it. He is the object of aggression from the other kribs.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store