Paratilapia polleni and plants

Giwrgos1991

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2019
Zack geos in my short experience with them, are fully friendly with anubias and java fern. They will not shred a plant by attitude. They haven't either uprooted any of my valisnerias on their grow out tank (they were small though).

I had previously an oscar and then a jaguar cichlid that had the exact same behaviour. They woud shred everything into pieces just because they could. This experience was very very annoying.

Duanes I misunderstood your saying about tetras, sorry about that. Pollenis are gorgeous but I will not take that chance, because they might have a same behaviour. I will make a research for these species that you have mentioned. Andinoacara coerleopunctatus looks like a lot with green terror, which is a very beautiful fish too. I will maybe go with that option. Thank you again.

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
Duanes has photos to support every statement he made. He must have a huge library of photos of many fish he no longer keeps.

Duanes is correct in that there is no guarantee of any cichlid won‘t bother plants. Except for the delicate dwarf cichlid, if a cichlid decides to rearrange the aquascape, it can’t be stopped. Herbivore or not won’t make a difference. I keep medium to large cichlid with plants, and have to be selective on not only what plants but also what species, individual and gender of cichlid can coexist, and be ready to get rid of trouble makers.

I had to get rid of all my Nic because they shred plants all day long even though they don’t eat plants nor were they attempting to breed. I have three herbivorous Severum living harmlessly with my plants after getting rid of one Idiosyncratic individual that shred for no other reason. I keep male only EBA because breeding pairs of EBA rescape to make ness.. Female only don’t work because two females would pair up and even a single female would attempt to lay eggs. My Frontosa destroyed plants in my cramped 75g but after relocating to my 125g, he became a total gentleman to plants. You can never tell as individuals and environment can change behavior.

In my prediction, a pollina should be fine if you keep him in a spacious planted aquarium with tough Java fern and anubias, but be ready to rehome him if he doesn’t behave.

974E46D5-A1AB-48D5-9731-5840F906947E.jpeg

640C5E43-B81B-41D8-B898-7C8DCF0B6959.jpeg

Giwrgos1991

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2019
Well especially that 75 gallon is really impressive! Andinoacara coerleopunctatus is a nice one but stays relatively small, I don't know the compatibility with the asian aro. Maybe I will go with a green terror.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store