Paretroplus menarambo / Pinstripe Damba: "Poetry in Motion"

notho2000

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2010
winnipeg, canada
This pair is "getting it on" again after a four month hiatus. They took a summer break but it seems as if their minds are back on procreating, especially the female. If they do, this time I'll attempt to save some fry. I am growing out 25 from a spawn 18 months ago to ensure the species remains in my tanks. They're around 4 to 5" and are just beginning to pair as well. Here is a brief video of this awesome species in pre-spawning behavior.
[video=youtube_share;Vfw82_HNiqY]http://youtu.be/Vfw82_HNiqY[/video]

notho2000

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2010
winnipeg, canada
The pair is spawning as I'm writing this. The female chose to lay her eggs on the back of a rock, at the back of the tank, so the view is not the greatest. But here's one pic anyways. I'm planning to pull this spawn and try to save some young. Hopefully I can get a hatch. Fungus can be a real problem among other things.
MAH01840-003.jpg

MAH01840-003.jpg

notho2000

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2010
winnipeg, canada
They are stunning Jim! They have some amazing colors on them. What is there temperament like with their tank mates? What do you feed them?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Thanks Jon, They are very tolerant of heterospecifics, especially non Paretroplus, and in a group, conspecific aggression is minimal. I feed them almost entirely on pellet foods (Ken's Stick foods, NLS, Aquadine, Xtreme). I feed quite a variety.

Always love to see your menarambos
Thanks.

Poetry in motion indeed!

Sent from my Nexus 10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Thanks Laurie.

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
How big are they, and how long did it take for them to get to that size? I have heard they are slow growers... I have a group of Paretroplus (4 Dambabe, 2 Menerambo - hoping to find some Maculatus) that are about 2 inches in my 155g West African tank, and I am curious what growth rate I should expect.

notho2000

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2010
winnipeg, canada
How big are they, and how long did it take for them to get to that size? I have heard they are slow growers... I have a group of Paretroplus (4 Dambabe, 2 Menerambo - hoping to find some Maculatus) that are about 2 inches in my 155g West African tank, and I am curious what growth rate I should expect.
These two are around 10". I've had them for ~3 years and they were a good 4" when I got them. So I would suspect they are around 5 years old. All Paretroplus are slow growing IME and others have said. If you get small ones , you just have to be patient and be in it for the long haul. I have young ones coming up that are around 4" and they're approaching 2 years of age. They were "in the egg" in Dec. 2012. These young 'uns are presently pairing up and I think a couple of pairs have laid eggs.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store