Paroon shark severely stunted

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
It's probably a thing where the paroon is settling after being moved and readjusting to your tank...could be a good thing as far as the blood worms as once it gets ready to eat it may take something else that you offer it.
Having gotten that out of the way....I'd give my left pinky toe for that paroon.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I figured I'd start small lol.

jlnguyen74

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2007
United Species of Arowana
That's a nice paroon, and it doesn't look stunt or 5 years old. That paroon is probably 5-8 months old. It's almost impossible to keep a paroon in a 50 gal tank for 5 years. Either the fish will knock the glass pane out or smash its head to dead. Paroon is not picky eater, but it prefers sinking food.

Josie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2014
Newcastle, UK
He's been rehomed now, to a very nice knowledgeable fish keeper who already has 13 tanks stocked with monster fish! He is going in an 8 footer. So a happy ending! Thanks everyone so much for the advise :)

Josie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2014
Newcastle, UK
And he definitely had been there for five years, I've known the girl for two and a half years, and she told me about him( we take our kids to the same school) she just didn't know what it was and I assumed red tail or bala shark or something. and my fiancé knows the man and saw him about a year and a half ago, still didn't know what he was, and I couldn't guess from the description. I can say, he has definitely and 100% been in that tank for at the very least 4/5 years.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Tremendous fish and glad you found him a bigger home,maybe you can get some shots of it in it's new tank....Hope it lives for another five years.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Sure. There are high levels of an enzyme called thiaminase found in live or dead goldfish, rosy reds, shellfish, etc. This enzyme destroys the thiamine or vitamin B1 inside of the predatory fish that eats them. Other feeder fish with high thiaminase levels include shiners, whitefish, salmon, anchovies, herring, sardine, etc. Some people stuff pellets inside the food, prior to feeding, to combat this.

In addition to depleting B1 in the predator that eats them, offering any food fish after freezing and then thawing destroys B1 in the food fish itself, so double whammy. The longer the food is frozen, the further depleted the B1 content will be. This translates into anorexia, weight loss and weakness in the predatory fish.

Cooking destroys that enzyme in the food fish, which stops the depletion of B1. But cooking also depletes the nutrition content of the food, so it's not a good solution. Food fish like smelt, flounder, tilapia, sunfish, guppies and mollies either lack the enzyme, or have very low levels, thus are a great source to feed. Supplementing with liquid vitamins also works well. Happy fish keeping!
Thanks. Solid info on thiaminase.

...offering any food fish after freezing and then thawing destroys B1 in the food fish itself... The longer the food is frozen, the further depleted the B1 content will be...
This is the focus of my question. Sorry, I have to repeat it again. Can you elaborate or link / cite the source that explains why and how this happens, please? I'd like to understand it better as well as evaluate the strength of this statement. No offence. Just due diligence and thirst for knowledge as this concerns me directly.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store