Parrot Cichlid Info sheet: Blood Parrots, King Kong Parrots, and Kirin Parrots.

quicklynx

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2009
Maryland
I saw a pair of Blood Parrot Cichlids in the LFS a couple of weeks ago that had the most amazing color I have ever seen on them. It was like a super red, almost hot pink. The LFS staff that I was talking to said he has never seen any blood parrots come in that bright before.

They were probably 3-4" each. I want to say about $80 for the pair. My wife fell in love with them and if I had my tanks setup I would have snatched them in a heartbeat.

One thing I read was the higher temperatures they are kept in they tend to not pale out, but does anyone know how to get them more color without dyeing or hormones? Can I just keep my water at 86 degree all the time?

Aquaman_95

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2007
Warner Robins Georgia
This is the best thread about Blood Parrots/related fish, I've ever seen. Great work!

KeithB

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 20, 2013
Brisbane Australia
Thanks for that, an excellent article that I have reread several times. I have some good BPs plus also several fish sold to me as KKPs - big amiably bulky fish with very little notching but no nuchal growth, round pupils with and without fully closing mouths. I don't have enough KKP males at the moment to test relative fertility but one obtained recently was reputedly sired by a KKP and reputedly produced fry. He is currently tanked with a fertile female parrot so it will be interesting to see the outcome. It's a shame there does not appear to be anything like a breed register for hybrids, other than those confidentially kept by some breeders, that would give potential buyers a reliable idea of what they are acquiring genetically.

Manu8__too

Aimara
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2013
Excellent post.

allaboutfish1996

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 29, 2012
memphis tn
I want a brown blood parrot so bad. I don't know why but I think they look cooler brown. I've never found a larger one with the brown though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

izzy_here

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 13, 2010
michigan
I want to see it done with a trimac x lyonsi male X syn female, you could even take it further... One of the amps crossed to texas, then a female from that spawn crossed to the other amp species in the equation, at that point you'd have a fertile male. This male could be then finally be crossed to a female syn, you'd have kirrins, with a little playing around you'd have fertile ones.

...forget all that, even just breeding back to either parent species would give you a fertile strain, even with no texas I think they'd look awesome back crossed either way, syn or amp.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store