Parrot fish with African cichlids?

Kashif314

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2019
Is it ok to keep parrots with African cichlids? Who will be the dominating one and may bully others?

I was thinking to keep a couple of African cichlids with like three large parrots. By large I mean large like little less than size of a hand. Its a 100 gallon tank. 150 cm length, 55 cm height and 45 cm width. It has woods layout inside only.

20190910_231407.jpg

Please advise if this combination works and if the size is enough for what I am planning.

Thanks.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Most mbuna are nasty, and will be too fast for the parrots, and can nip fins etc. I would personally not mix them, although I have seen it done with some of the less aggressive mbuna species. Parrots get quite large, keep in mind that you are only playing with 100 gallons of water & territory.

Kashif314

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2019
Most mbuna are nasty, and will be too fast for the parrots, and can nip fins etc. I would personally not mix them, although I have seen it done with some of the less aggressive mbuna species. Parrots get quite large, keep in mind that you are only playing with 100 gallons of water & territory.
I did this as a mistake about 10 years ago on the advise of a Petsmart worker. My parrots got their tails kicked. They just can't defend themselves or fight for resources like their normal cousins.
Thanks yes the same store employee told me that they would be fine together. But I will not risk it. I was just hoping to add something beautiful with my African cichlids.

Reactions: tlindsey

Tj203

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2019
i had some with Oscar and the Oscar picked
on it for a months there were
2 Oscar 3 parrots and 2 or 3 other cichlids. it is hard to tell because every fish s different when it come to aggression. i will try and put them together and if you see them fighting to much remove it but that is the only way to know for sure. i had those oscars in with small jack demises and some OB and the Oscar did not want anything to do with them. they were half the size of the parrots same thing i had 2 pleco in with them the Oscar picked on one but not the other.there is nutting written in stone about what you can and cant have.

Reactions: Kashif314

Red Cichlids

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2019
Sacramento
I think you would be okay with peacocks, as they tend to be less aggressive than mbuna. Might want to keep the peacocks smaller than the parrots. As they grow together I think you will be fine.

Reactions: Kashif314

Kashif314

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2019
i had some with Oscar and the Oscar picked
on it for a months there were
2 Oscar 3 parrots and 2 or 3 other cichlids. it is hard to tell because every fish s different when it come to aggression. i will try and put them together and if you see them fighting to much remove it but that is the only way to know for sure. i had those oscars in with small jack demises and some OB and the Oscar did not want anything to do with them. they were half the size of the parrots same thing i had 2 pleco in with them the Oscar picked on one but not the other.there is nutting written in stone about what you can and cant have.
I don't have African cichlids but I feed my fish vegetable scraps like lettuce.
I think you would be okay with peacocks, as they tend to be less aggressive than mbuna. Might want to keep the peacocks smaller than the parrots. As they grow together I think you will be fine.
Thanks a lot. I dropped the idea of parrots.

Reactions: deeda
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store