Patio Tanks Rock!

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
duanes duanes
Is the plant expected to be up soon?

I think that by now I would be desalinating water in a DIY solar still. I learned to do this as a kid, as a survival skill in the desert. We didn't have saltwater though. We were using cactus and a plastic tarp, rocks and sticks and a tin can.
It works if you have lots of sun. A roof is usually the best place in town.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The water plant was repaired yesterday, and tap water started flowing today.
I pumped 40 gallons of last nights rain into the tank, from the rain barrel, and topped off the tank with tap, finally getting the tank to overflow into the sump and water movement, and filtration for the first time in a couple months.
Should be interesting to see parameters fluctuate.

Reactions: Ulu

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
Rain? . . . I've forgotten . . . is that like free irrigation? ;)

Yesterday, a bit of rain was claimed in the next county, but I think it was a hoax.

No rain here for at least 6 more weeks in my estimation.

Reactions: bobblehead27

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
Here it is, all buttoned up. I was going to do something more elaborate, but Life got in the way.
There are 2 pond baskets. One with pothos and one with a yam. Each has a jury-rigged 10g hothouse above.

1570120840483.jpg

Some light always filters thru the top, even when the doors are closed.
I had to relocate the standpipe and siphon to make this work, but the flow is more lateral now.
I also patched up the sump door, which is guarded and secured by the iron kitty.

This will keep things warm and I can open it during the day. (I should still insulate the plumbing.)
This was before I added the tanks above, clear lexan lids, and removed the lamps and one of the 3 baskets.

20190930_075403.jpg

tigerbob

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2019
Hi Ulu is the patio tank heated? Do you keep any unheated tank/pond? Where I live is a bit warmer(40~50F) but not so warm to keep tropicals unheated all year around.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Just picked up a 55 to add to the patio.
D9EE35A1-0109-4BA3-BE11-05B4FAD428AB_1_201_a.jpeg
My plan is to overflow the 180 into the 55, and have it, overflow to the sump behind it.
Ordered a diamond drill bit and a couple bulkheads for some holes in the back, and then all that will be needed, will be to alter the plumbing, and in that way use the same pump for both tanks, running them together, will eliminate the need to cycle the 55.
Since its just a 55, no fish over 5", maybe some Panamanian killifish, and some small gobies.
Since where this tank is situated, it will get more light, being only partially under the patio roof, could work to recollect some of the plants that didn't make it in the 180 the 1st time around.
One of my favs the hydrocotyl would be one of those.
27010725-5F19-41A8-8A06-D460A393717D.jpeg
as would be the Ipomoea (water spinach), that produces a flower after it hits the surface.
3CE7B803-83F4-4F19-8B72-CD73979CF798_1_201_a.jpeg.

Reactions: jjohnwm

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
The word "jealous" just doesn't come close to describing how I feel when I look at these lovely outdoor set-ups. :) Every part of the world has its good and bad qualities as a home...but from an aquarist's perspective, you guys live in paradise.

duanes duanes , you really have me thinking about a summer-only outdoor tank. I have a small backyard in-ground pond (which of course is frozen solid to the bottom at the moment), as well as a few experimental container ponds ranging from plastic garbage cans to livestock watering tanks. Temperature extremes and stability have always been my main worry, but I encounter other challenges as well; the bear that destroyed my newly-constructed stock tank pond this past year was probably the worst, but other issues abound as well. Nevertheless, the fish that I carefully choose do uniformly well outside, and some plant species grow luxuriously while others fade for unknown reasons.

The biggest complaint I have is the difficulty of observing these small fish in containers, looking from above. An actual glass outdoor tank sounds amazing. Maybe next summer. :)

Reactions: Ulu

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Ordered a diamond drill bit and a couple bulkheads for some holes in the back, and then all that will be needed, will be to alter the plumbing, and in that way use the same pump for both tanks, running them together, will eliminate the need to cycle the 55.
I know you are aware of this, just throwing it out there for anybody that reads this.
Unless this is an older 55 most are made of tempered glass so check before you drill.

Reactions: Ulu and jjohnwm

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
I’ve considered doing something outside myself. Just too cold here. If I could it would open up so many possibilities.
cool setups both of you.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store