Payara captive care guide

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
I agree. Kinda thought that was the whole point of doing it.

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
make a final draft with DB's breaking fome live then ask a mod to sticky it.....

mynheers_a_pint

Candiru
MFK Member
May 4, 2008
United Kingdom
what would be ideal 'teacher fish' for this species? My pair are supposed to be on dead foods but i haven't seen them eat yet. i know it's only been 2 days but jsut the slightest interest would be good. Other than chasing my little Geos when they get a bit too boistrous...

I've heard Aro's are good teacher fish but i want a SA species to do the teaching. They are 7" too which is potentially a complication from the sounds of things...

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Did you read the care guide?

Aros are south american fish.......

I used a Rhaphiodon Vulpinus for my teacher fish.... That thing has taught every Payara I've had to eat dead food. I belive it was a dat that taught him, but I've had terrible experiences mixxing Dats with Hydro species.

Try freeze dried krill in the filter output so it "dances" around at the surface.

mynheers_a_pint

Candiru
MFK Member
May 4, 2008
United Kingdom
i did read the care guide but i admit it was an oversight that lead me to post reagarding Aro's and not stating that an Aro is an impractical fish due to my tank size. And also my forgetting that the silver Aro is SA but you are welcome to take that with a pinch of salt....

Again, i feel a Rhaphiodon Vulpinus is not really an option, again due to size. Unless Fishbases 69cm is wrong? I was thinknig about something allong the lines of a med sized SA Cichlid. But it is an option i am yet to explore in detail.

My reasoning for posting on this particular thread was not jsut to help me but also to help others like me. If there was a list of proven succesful 'teacher fish' for these guys, i feel it would contribute to other future Hydro keepers. As it is, i'm happy to use live as required.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
In my experience.....

The problem with live isn't so much the disease part, with simple quarentine this can be fixed..... My problem is the aggression level in fish that rely on live feeders. I have found my fish to be much much more docile if they are off live food.

Rhaphiodons..... If you can get one to 69cm I'de really like to see it.... NOT that it can't be done, but I have asked around numerous times and it seems I have one of the largest in a home aquarium and it is only like 13 inches.

You can try the old fishing line method. Just put a pice of fish on the end of a line and essentially go fishing (minus the barb on the fish hook)

As far as finding a teacher fish that will fit your tank for life.....good luck. A cichlid will more than likely stress the Tats. I'de go with a shoal of Chelceus. They seem to like krill (freeze dried so it floats)

It's really going to be kind of hard to meet all your requirements with the teacher fish since it has to be S.A. and grow to less than a foot. If it was me I'de use an Odoe. You have to remember you can always sell the teacher fish or con a buddy into taking it later down the road.

Reactions: Matteus

mynheers_a_pint

Candiru
MFK Member
May 4, 2008
United Kingdom
thanks for the reply. The intersting point so far is that the Lancefish are going but who is taking them is not visable purely becuase my Bichir (i know, NOT SA) and even my plec are actively taking the lancefish with the lights off, but when i leave the room with the lights on they most definately go but who takes them...?

After your previous recomendation of Chelceus i must say they are very tempting. I will continue to try the Lancefish as they are not simply gonig to waste and as said, they were previously recorded as taknig dead food so i know it is possible. I guess i need to give it time.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Tats are finicky. I've heard of them taking up to a month to settle in. All the ones I've ever had have settled in withing the first 2 weeks.

I wouldn't even begin to worry till after the first week.

Good luck mate!

mynheers_a_pint

Candiru
MFK Member
May 4, 2008
United Kingdom
well the fishing line method has been deployed and I'm waiting for my first bite. I will get some live this weekend if neither have taken food as i really want to keep these guys strong.

Something i have learned is that it is not necessarily the biggest that is the leader. The larger of the 2 certainly seems to be more submissive to the smaller and is following it around. Not constantly, but it is not the norm of the usual shoaling behaviour i have seen. They don't spend every moment together though. there is a definite independence to them as well. They have a large open area to swim but so far have been reclusive and fairly shy, sticking to the planted and wooded ends over the open areas. However they do not accept nor like the little geo's boisterousness and will chase them but not snap at them, despite being contenders for snack of the month. I would certainly say that in my short experience so far despite their physical demeanour, with their large teeth and ominous 'stalker' style presence, they are certainly shyer and more fragile than most fish of such a predacious nature.

I compare them to the Geo's that arrived the exact same day, who are 1/4 their size and who have settled in, established a heirachy and are feeding on everything available. Suddenly it becomes fully apparent the potential fragility of the species in the Aquaria. I'm sure and certainly hope, that they will come out of their shell and strike a more dominant role within the tank but can certainly understand why you do not reccomend larger Cichlid species.

Once i have sucessfuly fed them i will try harder to feed dead food. For the record, here is an image of one of them at point of entry into the tank;

And the other with 3 of the geo's;

I have no idea if the above is of value to anyone or even true for others but it is most certainly my observation of my pair.

:popcorn:

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
I agree 110% thier teeth are VERY misleading. They really are a delicate fish. The mistake I see most people make is when they are picking out tankmates they see the teeth and jump to the conclusion that these are very hostile fish when in all reality they are just the opposite. They are so delicate I will go so far as to say the entire tank needs to be planned around these guys as most "Monster" fish will pester these things to the point where they refuse food and waste away.

I would recommend getting some more in there ASAP. Once your two become comfy they will more than likely fight regularly. I had bad luck with only 2 as they see it one on one. I would recommend at least 4. Once they get cozy there will be aggression.....If you have 4 it will be dispersed. If you have only 2 then that aggression will add up over a period of time.

IN MY OPINION a shoal of Tats is very hard to beat when it comes to average size predatory tanks.

Do you guys have the yellow tail varients over there?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store