Payara (Cynodontidae et al.) ID and Care Guide 2.01

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
2.0 update- Vast changes to the general format and layout of the Guide in order to bring it into tolerance with the other guides featured in this section.

2.01 update- Minor format changes to improve readability after the migration.

Table of Contents, Introduction & Acknowledgements
Co-Authors: Xander13 (Alexander), Vamptrev (Trev), DB Junkie, Chicxulub
Photos by: Xander13, Vamptrev, Tigirinus
Edited, Arranged, and Referenced by Alexander, Chicxulub

*** All Captive Care Information & Images Copyright 2008 Alexander OR used with permission. No material (listed above) may be reproduced without permission.

Table of Contents

Introduction
Payaras are a fascinating group of fish. The amazing teeth of these large, dynamic predators are reminiscent of deep sea predators and never fail to instantly enthrall anyone who beholds them. As such, they tend to generate an intense interest in people who learn about them. I thank xander and the others for their efforts in making this thread five years ago, it was essential in my learning about these fish as well. I (Chicxulub) am editing this thread to bring it in line with the other stickies in the Other Characins section and to introduce several new pieces of information that have become available.

Have fun keeping Payara...:D

Further Reading

Reactions: Cichlasomniac

channarox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2007
south east asia
Care Sheet for Payaras

General Housing Requirements

Payaras can be a very challenging fish to keep successfully in an aquarium. They are large, dynamic, active predators who are capable of a stunning turn of speed.

In the wild, payaras favor warm, well oxygenated, fast flowing rivers and areas of large, open rivers and lakes. In order to properly care for these fish, it is important to closely replicate the conditions that this fish favor in the wild. Should one fail to do so, it is entirely possible that you could have a very expensive dead fish on your hands. As we all well know, conventional wisdom is that an environment in which most aquarium fish can thrive requires no more flow and aeration than that which is provided by the tank's filters and possibly a bubbler. Unfortunately, this is simply not the case with payaras.

In order to provide your payara the conditions it needs to thrive, you need powerheads, a bubbler, a bubble stick and a very big tank. Payaras are incredibly sensitive to their environment. Anything short of pristine water will cause SERIOUS issues for the health of your fish. There is also a distinct possibility that there is some factor in water quality that has not yet been discovered that affects the health of these fish. This is supported by the wide variability of experienced keepers to successfully keep the fish, the only difference being the local water conditions. These conditions can all be 'perfect' by our water tests, but something that we can't test for or don't know to test for is apparently quite detrimental to their health.. An ideal setup would involve violent current with several areas that are calm. You will find that the fish often seeks out eddies at the edge of the highest flow when it is not parked in front of a powerhead swimming energetically to exercise.

Payaras are extremely susceptible to catching Ich if they become stressed. It is absolutely vital that their needs be met as these are delicate fish and they have trouble dealing with Ich, especially if they're weak from just being shipped.​

Having a high level of current creates violent flow that does several things for your fish. First, it simulates the natural areas of strong current that these fish favor in the wild. As such, it helps your baby payara to feel more secure. Further, the strong current, if arranged in the tank properly, will simulate "riffles". Riffles are used in the wild as cover by riverine fish such as payara. A happy, content payara is quite content to spend all day parked in front of a powerhead and they can be surprisingly inactive. To keep an adult specimen of payara, I feel that the minimum footprints are as listed below. Remember, these sizes are for a tank configured as described specifically for the needs of the fish. If you are trying to mix your payara with other fish that have more conventional needs, you will need a MUCH larger tank. Regardless of if you're specializing your tank to the needs of the payara or trying to mix him with something else, remember that bigger is always better!
H. armatus- 8x4​
H. tatauaia- 8x2
H. scomberoides- 6x1.5
H. wallacei- Unknown, likely the same as H. scomberoides
Rhaphiodon sp.- 8x2
Cynodon- 6x1.5​

Sexual Dimorphism
At the time of this writing, sexual dimorphism isn't conclusively know in payaras. However, most South American tetras, to include the other large, dynamic South American predatory tetra the dorado, are. As such, we can conclude that it is likely that males will have a noticeable hook at the front of their anal fin while females will have a straight fin.​

Feeding
Payaras can be one of the most frustrating large predators to get eating prepared foods. They are notorious for practically starving themselves to death before taking live food. Below is a wonderful write up by DB junkie on how to get them eating prepared food.

Breaking Payara off live food, by DB Junkie

I would recommend attempting to train your payara off live food at an early age. I have had better luck with them learning this at a young age. It seems the older they get the more stubborn they get. The last batch I have obtained was a pack of 5 Armatus at roughly the size of a quarter. They were actually to small to even eat rosies (or tuffies) so they were fed guppies up until about 2 inches. At that point they were switched to rosies. Kept on rosies for about another 1-1.5 inches. I believe I made a mistake in how long I fed rosies. I believe you may have better luck getting them off live if you are to start feeding goldfish as soon as they are big enough to eat them. This will greatly increase your chances in getting them to go after krill as they are both orange in color, and the shape of freeze dried krill has more in common with goldfish then a rosie does.

I believe with Artmatus as soon as they have been on goldfish for a few weeks they are ready to be trained completely off live. This coincidently happened to be the same time the white edging began showing up in my little guys..... If I was to have another attempt at this I would actually start them as soon as the adipose fin was bright enough to be 100% armatus or about 4 inches. I believe they are hardy enough at this size. Although I didn't start mine till about 5-6 inches just to insure they were hardy enough. I began thier training with the same methods I used to break my Rhaphiodons, Scombs, and Tats. Now I had already transfered them from thier 75 gallon growout tank to a 180 gallon tank. They had been in the 180 and on goldfish for about 3 weeks. I believe I would have seen better results if I began trying to feed them the krill while they were still in the growout 75.

First method was to simply drop freeze dried krill into the output of the hang on back filter. I run AC 110s on my tanks so this was enough water movement to make the krill dance around and mimic a live feeder goldfish. This was done every morning and at night. By about the 3rd day of this they began rushing or charging the krill. But NO attempts to eat it were being made. By this time they were allready looking a little skinny but likely due to the rapid goldfish eating they were used to. I decided to try another means of feeding. I took a normal fishing hook and clipped the barb off the end and straightened the hook. I then took a piece of thawed smelt and cut just the tail end off (about an inch) and put it on the hook. It looked suprisingly like a rosie. So this may be a way to skip the goldfish all together. This would seem to me to be ideal as feeding a payara krill will get VERY expensive very fast. The smelt was dangled in front of a powerhead to make it "dance" around and mimic a live fish. they pretty much ignored this the first few days but soon the same charging began. But like the krill no attepts were being made to actually eat it. The same charging went on for around a week.

So here I am about a week and a half in from the last time these lil buggers ate. they all looked really skinny now and I decided to take another course of action. A "teacher" fish. I couldn't understand how my other payara would just take the krill and these guys wouldn't. I believe this reason was the absence of another fish in the tank swimming at the same level in the water column and eating the krill in front of the little Armatus. Showing them it was food. So I brought up my 12inch Rhaphiodon Vulpinus from the pond. This very fish was always in the tanks with my other payara when they began eating krill. I belive it attributed to the breaking of not only other Rhaphs but Scombs, Tats, and my first Armatus. Now that the Armatus were roughly 5 inches I felt it was safe enough to add the big Rhaph. It did not eat the first day due to the stress from moving. The second day he began eating krill. I believe Rhaph make exceptional teacher fish cause of the "backflip" they do when they eat. Very difficult for this to go unnoticed by the other fish in the tank. During this time the Armatus began biting the krill but quickly spitting it back out. I then fed the Rhaph a huge piece of smelt. It took him about 5 minutes to get it down. During this time it swam the entire tank while trying to swallow it. The next attempt with the fishing hook and a small piece of cut smelt for the Armatus was a success.

They are just now (2 weeks later) starting to catch the pieces of smelt on the way down (without the fishing hook/line) and 1 of the Armatus is still refusing to eat. I'm sure after watching his other 4 tankmates devoure smelt he will quickly catch on. So in my case I believe I confirmed that a "teacher" fishes' presence is a huge asset in breaking payara off live food. The "teacher" fish was only in the tank for a few days and the Armatus began eating. I have also used Dats and even made an attempt to use a small silver dat in breaking these fish. Dats work well I believe for the same reason the Rhaphs do, when they charge the surface from the bottom it is very fast and again hard for other fish to ignore. But I ended up moving this particular dat in fear of it snatching the eye of one of the Armatus. It has a history of pecking feeder fishes eyes out and after it took the spotted gars I wasn't going to risk it happening to an Armatus. I have also heard silver arros work as well. I believe West1 used one as a teacher to break his Tats. I hope my experiences with getting these fish OFF live food can be an asset to people who are trying to achieve this same difficult task. As many of you keeping payara know that ich and possibly other diseases can be easily transfered from feeder fish to your prized specimens. Soon your payara will recognize you as a food source and will happily greet you when you enter the room in anticipation for a piece of food. Good luck and happy payara keeping!
An excerpt on increasing growth rates-

"I noticed a huge growth spurt on mine was actually when he was in my sump when I was re-doing my 600. Reason being is that I had my pump (Dolphin Amp 3000) re-directed to my 125 sump. You can imagine the current being pushed through. The Armatus was basically forced to swim against the current. The constant activity helped burn & digest the food faster increasing his metabolism. Soon as I threw Goldfish in their it was quickly eaten. I believe an Armatus does not require heavy current, but helps in his growth since he's constantly burning food faster. Now, that he's back in the 600 he does not strike at goldfish as fast as he use to."-R1_Ridah (2007)​

Furniture
In a payara tank, minimal furniture is ideal. Payaras are fast, powerful open water fish who are capable of incredible speeds. If there is too much in their tank, they are quite capable of damaging themselves on the decorations in the tank. Very little can compare to the sight of a large, healthy payara patrolling his tank. It would be an injustice to your fish to crowd it with too much furniture. If you choose to decorate your sufficiently large payara tank, a low profile 3D background and a river stone substrate would be attractive without the risk of causing undue harm to the fish. Large pointy driftwood and similar items upon which the fish could be impaled are strongly discouraged. Payaras are also capable of a sufficient turn of speed in order to be killed by running into the glass. Should they spook and run into a pointy piece of driftwood, the results could be catastrophic.​

Compatibility
Compatibility with a payara is a troublesome subject. There are two problems with cohabitating them. First is the obvious problem of the payara's incredible ability to eat tankmates that are up to half their size. Second, we have to consider the previously mentioned delicate nature of these fish. They are predators, not brawlers. As such, large, aggressive fish will likely stress and eventually kill the payara. Large, aggressive cichlids and other fish with a similar disposition are to be avoided. Obviously, it would be a bad idea to try to keep your new payara with a large catfish or a school of small tetras. In most instances, peaceful schooling fish that are at least as a the payara in question will work well. Fish that work well include, but are not limited to, the following: tarpons, arowanas, barbs, mahseers, most small to medium catfish, rays and African tiger fish. One must plan the tankmates for their payara carefully. Many fish grow slower than armatus do and many grow faster than the other species. Please do research the fish you're considering and make sure no one will outgrow anyone else and end up as a snack!

Plecos are to be avoided. The well documented tendency of plecos to suck the slime coats of their tankmates would be catastrophic to a payara.​

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa

channarox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2007
south east asia
Hydrolycus Armatus

armatus showcase payarakeeper.jpg
Armatus courtesy of Payarakeeper.​

General Info
Tank mates & Temperament:
The temperament of these fish depends greatly on individual specimens, some Armatus are fine with tank mates, and some are not. The general rule of thumb however, is that Armatus are very aggressive fish. Armatus can be mixed with other large fish, as long as they are large enough not to be eaten. You’ll be amazed at how much an Armatus can stuff down its belly. I’ve personally had my 14inch Armatus down a 7inch catfish, and another member had his 20inch Armatus eat a 10inch tank mate. So as long as it’s not small enough to be swallowed, you could give it a try. However let it be noted that Armatus tend to be very territorial and fend tank mates off their territories vigilantly. They also have a dislike for silvery fish, tending to kill other Payaras. Despite this, there are many people I know (personally and on forums) that have kept Armatus communities in relatively small tanks.​

Distribution

Diagnostic Traits for Hobbyists
1- They normally swim at a levelled position
2- Have much larger tails, broader bodies, a downturned head and generally larger fangs
3- Red/orange adipose fin
4- Black slash behind gill plate
5- White edged caudal fin
6- Clear caudal fin base turning to black (but red variants have been coming out as of late.)
7- Quoting JD7.62,
"The key to IDing an Armatus vs. tat is the adipose fin. That is it. The adipose of the Armatus is orange. A tats adipose fin can also be orange BUT it will MATCH the colour the tats caudal fin. In other words, if the adipose fin contrasts highly with the colour of the caudal fin, it is an Armatus."​

img21422wa8.jpg

Academic Diagnostic Traits

Size
Captive Max Size:
2ft++.

Growth Rate:
Their estimated (unestablished) yearly sizes are --1st yr: 12inches, 2nd yr: 16inches, and gain around 2-4inches per year after that. You can expect slow growth rates up to 5inches, and then it’s between 0.5inches to 2inches pre month, depending on water conditions, temp, feedings etc.

Tank size:
There is no standard fixed size you should keep an Armatus in. Just bear in mind that these are extremely strong, skittish, claustrophobic fish that require a very large footprint. When maxed out (more than 24inches), I’d say a good sized tank would be at least 10ft by 4ft. However, this is not necessary for an Armatus to survive. A good friend of mine had two 14inch Armatus and two 12inch African tigerfishes in a 4ft by 1.5ft tank, with no problems at all, tank got he upgraded it recently. Having said this, it is not advised to keep armatus’s in small tanks. “Housed in small tank you will never get the same
activity and personality than having him in a bigger tank where he feels comfortable. Which is very noticeable. Provide enough footprint for this specie and you will enjoy.”-R1_Ridah(2007). A good sized tank for your average 12inch-18inch Armatus can be anywhere from 4x2x2 to 6x3x2. It’s more or less up to you to gauge if he has enough space.​

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
Hydrolycus tatauaia

tatauaia showcase stugz.jpg
Tatauaia courtesy of Stuginski

General Info
Tank mates & Temperament:
The temperament of these fish depends greatly on individual specimens, some Tatauaia are intolerant of other silvery, non-Tatauia fish. But most are fine. Much more outgoing than Scombs, Tatauaia are prefer to school rather than be kept solo. However they seem to be very shy feeders, eating mostly when the lights are out, so it’s suggested you get a night light, and watch when the REAL action comes on!

Distribution

1-Usually swims at a low angle
2-Up turned head
3-Medium sized red(usually. sometimes there are black/yellow variants) tail
4-Red/orange adipose fin that matches the colour of its tail
5-Big black eyes​

hydrolycussp071502hx1.jpg

img0309editvu1.jpg

Size
Captive Max Size:
It is extremely rare for any captive tat to exceed 12 inches. There are anecdotal stories of specimens approaching 18 inches, but these are unconfirmed.

Growth Rate:
Their estimated (unestablished) yearly sizes are --1st yr: 6inches, 2nd yr: around 10inches. After that they grow even more slowly. To have an 18inch specimen is extremely impressive, and to date I doubt we’ve seen anything larger than 12inches. You can expect their best growth rates (between 4-8inches) to be at 0.5inches per month​

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
Hydrolycus scomberoides

DSC_0023a.jpg
Scomberoides courtesy of Chicxulub

General Info
Scombs are usually comfortable with a wide variety of tank mates as long as there isn’t a significant size difference among the fish. Scombs are fairly calm and therefore, aggressive fish can pick on them and over power them. Most tank mates will grow much faster than Scombs. They can be skittish and vulnerable with over-active tank mates. Scombs like very clean water as they are prone to bacterial infections; they do best in a constant pH, with temperatures in the low 80 degrees F. The safest medication is salt as they can be very sensitive to other medications.​

Distribution

1-Brownish tail that becomes transparent toward the back tip
2-Fairly small dark spot located behind the gill plate
3-Fins are small in size as compared to their body size
4-Have large pectoral fins
5-Swim at a large angle

Size
There are very large Scombs in the hobby so the absolute maximum size is unknown. Current maximum size known is 12" in captivity. Beyond 12" is unheard of as this fish is identified with death by unknown reasons as well as a being susceptible to bacterial infections. Even in the wild, these fish are very unlikely to exceed 12". They are relatively short lived and don't get very large. Growth rates are slow, typically around ¼"; per month.​

channarox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2007
south east asia
Hydrolycus wallacei

wallacei.jpg

General Info
This species is completely absent from the hobby. Very little information is available in scientific or angling literature.​

Distribution
Unknown​

-Black base color
-Golden scales
-Scales are larger than any other payara species
-Black fins when larger​

Unknown​

Size
Unknown; presumably similar to a scomb.​

channarox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2007
south east asia
Rhaphiodon vulpinis

Rhaphiodon-vulpinus-ER-1.jpg
Rhaphiodon via seriouslyfish.com​

General Info
Raphs are comfortable with a wide variety of calm tank mates that are not over active. They get nervous easily. The fish tends to become claustrophobic as they age and therefore the tank needs to grow as the fish grows. They are known to bang their noses into the glass of the tank when getting uncomfortable. Raphiodon Vulpinus like very clean water as they are prone to bacterial infections; they do best in a constant pH, with temperatures in the low 80 degrees F. The safest medication is salt as they can be very sensitive to other medications.​

Distribution

1-Raphs have a very large Pectorial Fins
2-They have long skinny bodies
3-Solid silver body colour
4-Transparent tail
5-Swims at a slight to no angle​

Size
The largest reported size in captivity is 18” however there are few large Raphs in captivity so the maximum size is unestablished. Growth rates are slow, typically ¼” to ½” per month.​

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
Cynodon gibbus

Cynodongibbus121024.jpg

General Info
Cynodon is relatively rare in the hobby. They have only been imported a handful of times over the past decade on sporadic occasions; they don't have regular, annual imports like most other cynodontids. Indeed, most imports are as contaminants with shipments of other payaras. Due to the lack of availability, these fish aren't as well known as the other members of this family that are imported.

Cynos require very calm tank mates as they are intimidated very easily. When uncomfortable, they will not eat. The fish tends to become claustrophobic as they age and therefore the tank needs to grow as the fish grows. They are known to bang their noses into the glass of the tank when getting uncomfortable. Cynodon Gibbus like very clean water as they are prone to bacterial infections; they do best in a constant pH, with temperatures in the low 80 degrees F. The safest medication is salt as they can be very sensitive to other medications.​

Distribution

1-Round black spot located behind the gill plate
2-Solid silver colour to the body
3-Small transparent tail
4-Short, rounded 'bulldog' head​

Size
Maximum size is unknown. They likely do not exceed 12" in length. Growth rates are slow, typically 1/4" per month.​

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
(references)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store