Payara ID help please

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
That bump comes from rubbing the glass as he swims against it. Normally it's in a fish's chin. With good water and good food, it should clear up

Reactions: PredatorPiqued

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
It's 100% tatauaia.
I agree looks to be Tat, I also agree it's an unusual looking one. I can see why kno4te kno4te thought it might be Wall. The coloratiion of the fish is very muted in pics and it's fangs are hard to discern which would make me think more towards Wall at first too since there fangs are propably the least prominent of the group

Could you guys give me the key identifications your looking for that determines the species of payara though? I'm curious what it is your looking at
Arm's and Wall's are more robust in the body while Scombs and Tat's lend themselves to being more streamlined. The most obvious tell tales it's a Tat are as Krich said the golden hue to the scales and the orange color in the adipose fin. Usually the color is pretty easy to see in the tail fin as well but in your pictures the color is muted.

Here's a nice little Poster ID I found that might help, I'm assuming with the original creators name on it. It may even be something we could add to the ID guide Chicxulub Chicxulub

Hydrolycus ID poster.jpg

PredatorPiqued

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2020
Maine
I agree looks to be Tat, I also agree it's an unusual looking one. I can see why kno4te kno4te thought it might be Wall. The coloratiion of the fish is very muted in pics and it's fangs are hard to discern which would make me think more towards Wall at first too since there's are propably the least prominent of the group

Arm's and Wall's are more robust in the body while Scombs and Tat's lend themselves to being more streamlined. The most obvious tell tales it's a Tat are as Krich said the golden hue to the scales and the orange color in the adipose fin. Usually the color is pretty easy to see in the tail fin as well but in your pictures the color is muted.

Here's a nice little Poster ID I found that might help, I'm assuming with the original creators name on it. It may even be something we could add to the ID guide Chicxulub Chicxulub

View attachment 1410293
That's a good diagram thank you for that.
Would you say hes unusual looking because of his nose bump?? I'll go ahead and say hes unique looking. I love the little guy, he gets all squirrelly when I approach the tank, hes very happy and greets me everytime.
I know another informer on this thread says that bump is from him rubbing the glass. He has had that bump since I've recieved them and I've never seen him rub the glass. Hes parked infront of the power head all day except at night.
Thank you again for the information and the identification keys

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
That's a good diagram thank you for that.
Would you say hes unusual looking because of his nose bump?? I'll go ahead and say hes unique looking. I love the little guy, he gets all squirrelly when I approach the tank, hes very happy and greets me everytime.
I know another informer on this thread says that bump is from him rubbing the glass. He has had that bump since I've recieved them and I've never seen him rub the glass. Hes parked infront of the power head all day except at night.
Thank you again for the information and the identification keys
Yeah the bump is unusual and the fact I can't make out his fangs. Scombs, Tats and Arms have large enough fangs that they can often be seen even when the fishes mouth is barely open. Walls have sharp teeth but their "two canines" are on the small side compared to the other Hydro's.

The bump looks to me like either a deformity or from a wound that healed over as Chicxulub suggested from rubbing his nose. Like when we get a callus on our fingers or hands. In this case it maybe scar tissue that grew after he had rubbed his snout raw in another tank or in transport during shipping, etc, etc.

PredatorPiqued

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2020
Maine
Yeah the bump is unusual and the fact I can't make out his fangs. Scombs, Tats and Arms have large enough fangs that they can often be seen even when the fishes mouth is barely open. Walls have sharp teeth but their "two canines" are on the small side compared to the other Hydro's.

The bump looks to me like either a deformity or from a wound that healed over as Chicxulub suggested from rubbing his nose. Like when we get a callus on our fingers or hands. In this case it maybe scar tissue that grew after he had rubbed his snout raw in another tank or in transport during shipping, etc, etc.
Ahhh that makes sense then about his nose, his fangs how ever are infact there he shed one shortly after receiving one and he definitely has one big canine on one side, you can see when his mouth is slightly drawn or when eating. I'll try to snipe a good one for you guys

Reactions: Chicxulub

PredatorPiqued

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2020
Maine
Ahhh that makes sense then about his nose, his fangs how ever are infact there he shed one shortly after receiving one and he definitely has one big canine on one side, you can see when his mouth is slightly drawn or when eating. I'll try to snipe a good one for you guys
Over night this bad boy popped up. Hes definitely got some chompers

20200325_095141.jpg

Reactions: Chicxulub

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
I agree looks to be Tat, I also agree it's an unusual looking one. I can see why kno4te kno4te thought it might be Wall. The coloratiion of the fish is very muted in pics and it's fangs are hard to discern which would make me think more towards Wall at first too since there fangs are propably the least prominent of the group

View attachment 1410293
I agree that would be useful!

That scomb is my old fish lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store