Payara ID,

WOLF2013

Banned
MFK Member
May 2, 2018
Lake Worth Florida
www.youtube.com
Hello. Bought this guy a month ago. Very hardy and easy to keep. Eats tilapia, market shrimp and surprinsgly earthworms.
However, he has killed his fellow payara. Came down stairs and he had almost decapitated the other payara. He has done the same to a 3-4'' silver arowana and freshwater wolf herring. Why is he killing fish of similar color? Do I need to worry about my shoal of 3'' semaprochilodus being next on the menu? Is it possible that I can add a few more payara?
I am happy he eats and is easy to keep.
He is a dream fish of mine so he is a keeper.
Was sold as an Armatus Payara.. what do you guys think?

20210814_000519.jpg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
It’s armatus. I’d keep solo. Doesn’t want the play nice.

WOLF2013

Banned
MFK Member
May 2, 2018
Lake Worth Florida
www.youtube.com
It’s armatus. I’d keep solo. Doesn’t want the play nice.
Solo he shall be lol. I am glad he is easy to feed I have heard stories of these guys starving to death. But the place I got him from knows how to wean them off of live so I had no problem waiting the few weeks until it started to eat. He said this is the best size to buy them at.

Darryl Taylor

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2019
Michigan
Mi
Solo he shall be lol. I am glad he is easy to feed I have heard stories of these guys starving to death. But the place I got him from knows how to wean them off of live so I had no problem waiting the few weeks until it started to eat. He said this is the best size to buy them at.
I had a few in my he past the was gard to break but this last one I got he was off live in 4 days

Reactions: FJB

WOLF2013

Banned
MFK Member
May 2, 2018
Lake Worth Florida
www.youtube.com
What is a freshwater wolf herring? Are they in the family of the payara?
They are from Asia. Labeled as an asian payara. I was interested so I bought 2. Online care sheets say they are very hardy and easy to keep. In my experience not quite true. Very skittish, get picked on easily and never ate for me. I offered tilapia, raw market shrimp, earthworms, crickets, and shriners.
They are similar to freshwater barracuda. Also known as giant sword minnows. I may give them a try again not sure since my lfs still has a bunch of them.
Neat looking fish. Just wish my 2 were easier to get to eat.
One of my silver arowanas got the first one. Then my payara got to the 2nd one.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store