Payara on Fri.

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
Today I swung by Aquascapeonline to check out the payaras (vampire tetras). They had some really nice ones so I am going back on Fri to pick one up. My question for everyone is about trying to wean it. I know it will be hard but I want to give it a shot. Does anyone think it will help to have another fish in the tank already eating perpared foods? There were also some cheap clown knifes, so I was thinking that maybe I should buy one of those so the payara could see another fish eating perpared foods. Let me know what you think.
Thanks

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
still thinking about my post. Could having more then one payara have any effects on weaning? Thanks again

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
Sorry, I have never kept them.

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
Even if no one has really kept one do you think it would be helpful to have a fish in the tank that eats perpared foods to I guess "show" the payara how to do it?

freeskierrocket

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2005
SouthEast, PA, USA
i've got my payara on rosey reds (about 1 a day) and he's only 3.5 inches, i drop NLS pellets in the tank for the cory cats and the payara doesn't even take notice.....so no weaning yet....

02GT@comcast.net

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2007
wyomissing Pa.
I have a pair for a little over a year now. Their about 8 to 9 inches ,they go through about 100 rosys a week , they eat them like we eat potato chips. I tried larger goldfish and they will eat them but they enjoy just killing them and letting them lay. I tried other food sources but their hooked on rosys.

JD7.62

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
at the 'Bama Breeze
Eh, I personally dont believe in a fish see other fish eat prepared foods and then learning from that.

Good luck getting your payara off of live. Its been done...mostly with armatus but tats and scombs seem to be a bit harder.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Guess I'm kinda different. I believe in teacher fish. I used dats. The reasoning behind is the fact that they charge the surface very quickly from the bottom of the tank. This ALWAYS got the payara's attention. Do I believe this is the sole reason all my payara eat NO live whatsoever? No, but do I think it helped? Yes. After about a month with dats the rhaphs began eating freeze dried krill. I had been trying to get them to eat it for about 3 months while it was just the 3 Rhaphs in the tank. It seemed like they saw the dats and took to it. Once they started then the Scombs took to it. In my experience the Tats were easiest to get off live. But then again I had a shoal of 5. My Armatus actually took the longest, about 1.5 months. Maybe size had something to do with this as it was a mere 3 inches when I got it.

In my experience the best "trick" is to simply throw freeze dried krill in the h.o.b. filter output. Ty to set the tank up with a lot of surface agitation......a few powerheads, as many h.o.b. filters as possible......Along with H.O.B. filters I also use canisters that dump into a spray bar hung right across the back of the tank. The more the krill dances the more appealing it looks. Once they start on krill it's easy. My armatus will actually accept more differnt kinds of food (shrimp, scallops, smelt, krill, nightcrawlers, silversides) then it will turn down (sea food like squid and octo)......when its hungry (kept with rays and gets fed a lot). This all could be due to the fact it was raised with other Payara that showed it that there is such a thing as food besides feeders.....OR I could be getting an overactive imagination from overexposure to fish poop resulting in me thinking that fish are way smarter than they really are.. Maybe I'm just friggin nuts.....I don't know.

Razman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2007
NoVa
way to bump the two year old thread

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store