Payara or Red Tail Byrcon?

WOLF2013

Banned
MFK Member
May 2, 2018
Lake Worth Florida
www.youtube.com
My local fish store got these awesome predatory characins in stock. They have both payara and red tail byrcon. I am so tempted to get one of each but I need to research a bit. Luckily, the LFS told me that they would save atleast 1 each for me so I can get at least one when I decide.
The problem I have is that they will be going in my 6' 150 gallon aquarium with some large growing predatory fish. Red hook silver dollars,tiger shovelnose catfish, large bala shark, clown knife, a oscar, lima shovelnose, and a synodontis decorus. There may be a few catfish I forgot.
I've always wanted a payara but have been turned off to them because people say they are almost impossible to keep. Red tail byrcon are a fish I've seen and wanted but realized I didn't have to have them but have now seen one that I like and now that I have a large aquarium wouldn't mind having one.
Could you provide me some info on payara and red tail brycon? Which one would you get? Or would you do 2 payara and skip the brycon or 1 payara and 1 brycon?
I think these payara are schombs. I know they are eating tilapia and market shrimp as the owner showed them eating and he's had them in the shop for month. He's willing to give me a deal if I get more than 1.
I've attached a picture of each.

80204547_748273045666690_5673530203196882944_o.jpg

81548119_759421391218522_4446374664234598400_o.jpg

Reactions: Chicxulub

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
My local fish store got these awesome predatory characins in stock. They have both payara and red tail byrcon. I am so tempted to get one of each but I need to research a bit. Luckily, the LFS told me that they would save atleast 1 each for me so I can get at least one when I decide.
The problem I have is that they will be going in my 6' 150 gallon aquarium with some large growing predatory fish. Red hook silver dollars,tiger shovelnose catfish, large bala shark, clown knife, a oscar, lima shovelnose, and a synodontis decorus. There may be a few catfish I forgot.
I've always wanted a payara but have been turned off to them because people say they are almost impossible to keep. Red tail byrcon are a fish I've seen and wanted but realized I didn't have to have them but have now seen one that I like and now that I have a large aquarium wouldn't mind having one.
Could you provide me some info on payara and red tail brycon? Which one would you get? Or would you do 2 payara and skip the brycon or 1 payara and 1 brycon?
I think these payara are schombs. I know they are eating tilapia and market shrimp as the owner showed them eating and he's had them in the shop for month. He's willing to give me a deal if I get more than 1.
I've attached a picture of each.

View attachment 1400545

View attachment 1400546
kno4te kno4te
K krichardson

Reactions: kno4te

Blakewater

Aimara
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2018
For your tank size I suggest the brycon. The tanks already pretty full and payaras need pristine water and lots of room. Brycons are a little more tolerable however I’m sure you already know you will need an upgrade in the near future for your tsn and clown knife

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Looks to be a scomb. Get 12 inches and has a bad rep of dying once it hits that size. Need some work to get off of live food. Brycon can get up to 12inches too. But if small and grown don’t see many past 10in. Easy to feed as it’ll accept most prepared foods.

Either one would work in the tank. There are a few concerns mainly the tsn. It could get enough that it’ll eat either the brycon or scomb. May just happen one day out of the blue. They grow too fast. The other is bioload as ur water quality will have to be really checked and controlled.

The tsn and clown knife need bigger tank space eventually or even now (don’t know how big).

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Yep,that payara is a scomb to be specific and I agree with the previous posts.Also,Brycon tend to be more active and possibly more aggressive than payara in my experience.

Last edited:

WOLF2013

Banned
MFK Member
May 2, 2018
Lake Worth Florida
www.youtube.com
For your tank size I suggest the brycon. The tanks already pretty full and payaras need pristine water and lots of room. Brycons are a little more tolerable however I’m sure you already know you will need an upgrade in the near future for your tsn and clown knife
Yes. The tiger shovelnose and clown knife are small now. TSNS are about 4'' and the clown knife is about 5-6''. I am thinking about doing 1 of each and see how it goes.
Looks to be a scomb. Get 12 inches and has a bad rep of dying once it hits that size. Need some work to get off of live food. Brycon can get up to 12inches too. But if small and grown don’t see many past 10in. Easy to feed as it’ll accept most prepared foods.

Either one would work in the tank. There are a few concerns mainly the tsn. It could get enough that it’ll eat either the brycon or scomb. May just happen one day out of the blue. They grow too fast. The other is bioload as ur water quality will have to be really checked and controlled.

The tsn and clown knife need bigger tank space eventually or even now (don’t know how big).
Tsn and clown knife are 4'' and 5-6'' respectly. I do water changes once or twice a week and have 2 hob filters and a canister filter on the aquarium,. I am thinking about doing 1 of each 1 byrcon and 1 payara or I may just skip the payara and get a flagtail. I'll see on Thursday when I get paid.
If I were to wait for Aramatus or Red tail payaras, are they hardier than scombs?
Yep,that payara is a scomb to be specific and I agree with the previous posts.Also,Brycon tend to be more active and possibly more aggressive than payara in my experience.
Active is nice. I like active predators.

Darryl Taylor

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2019
Michigan
Payaras are in my top 3 favorite fish. I have two aramatus and had a total of three in my life. By far my favorite of the Payaras. They grow really fast and can be aggressive. They love to attack silver or shiny fish. Payaras thrives in high flowing waters. If you get a wave maker it will park in front of it most of the day. They can will try to eat a fish half it’s body size so be careful of tank mates. They catch ich easy so make sure to do 50-70 water changes weekly. If they catch ich give 1/3 of dose of medicine or no more then 1/2 doses. Attached is picture of my Payara I got mid. November the other is pictures of them now. I feed live once or twice a day.

920D826E-79A0-4C21-8B5D-7A48C8444456.jpeg

CCD9FD75-550C-4B94-ABFE-81D2FDD197CD.jpeg

Darryl Taylor

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2019
Michigan
Yes. The tiger shovelnose and clown knife are small now. TSNS are about 4'' and the clown knife is about 5-6''. I am thinking about doing 1 of each and see how it goes.

Tsn and clown knife are 4'' and 5-6'' respectly. I do water changes once or twice a week and have 2 hob filters and a canister filter on the aquarium,. I am thinking about doing 1 of each 1 byrcon and 1 payara or I may just skip the payara and get a flagtail. I'll see on Thursday when I get paid.
If I were to wait for Aramatus or Red tail payaras, are they hardier than scombs?

Active is nice. I like active predators.
Red tails hunt mainly a night scombs I really not sure. Aramatus depending on the fish. The two I have now are really active my first not so much mainly hunted when the light was out. All Payara are skiddish fish

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
First and foremost, I suspect that your tank is too overstocked to really consider a new characin. The predatory characins tend to be fairly sensitive to water quality, and I'd be concerned about their health. Payaras can be quite difficult to get eating as well, and all that competition will not help with that.

If your rank wasn't so fully stocked, I'd say the scomb would be a perfect fit. When they're comfortable, they take pellets relatively easily. They grow slowly enough that a standard 150 is a good size for them. They're also relatively sedentary compared to many other predatory characins. Scombs have a bad reputation around here and I really don't think they deserve it.

In conclusion, I'm a fan of the scomb. That being said however, I don't think you're really in a position to be adding one at this time.

I31

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2007
omni
Don't know if someone already mentioned but the Redtail brycon aka dentex is very aggressive. Will probably harass alot of your stock.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store