Pea puffers

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Here's how it looked before the stem plants crashed and I got the huge red beard algae bloom. I don't do well with stem plants. I know here at this house it's probably the water hardness being to high.
Ugh I feel your pain here. Lol idky but I just can't seem to keep plants alive very easily. I think it's mainly my extremely hard water that kills em. Been recently collecting rain water for my tanks and it seems like it slowly making a difference in growth for my plants, seems like they are slowly getting healthier over time.

Reactions: twentyleagues

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Ugh I feel your pain here. Lol idky but I just can't seem to keep plants alive very easily. I think it's mainly my extremely hard water that kills em. Been recently collecting rain water for my tanks and it seems like it slowly making a difference in growth for my plants, seems like they are slowly getting healthier over time.
I've just got to accept the fact and stop trying plant that don't prosper in hard water. Crypts, anubias, some val, ferns, and bolbitus, maybe swords.

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
I've just got to accept the fact and stop trying plant that don't prosper in hard water. Crypts, anubias, some val, ferns, and bolbitus, maybe swords.
Lol I got anubias, jungle val and corkscrew val, Penny wort and horn wort, 1 red tiger Lily and tons of other lilies just not sure what kind (got em with the pond tank). Most plants seem like they are struggling to survive in my tank even tho it's a dirted tank with fertilizers.

Reactions: twentyleagues

Chief Tom

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2020
Here's how it looked before the stem plants crashed and I got the huge red beard algae bloom. I don't do well with stem plants. I know here at this house it's probably the water hardness being to high.
are you getting alot of grey sludge in the filter?

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
are you getting alot of grey sludge in the filter?
No. Filter is pretty clean. Nitrates are always low. Which could be another reason some plants don't do so well. I started dosing lightly with easy green. The crypts seem to enjoy it.
Lol I got anubias, jungle val and corkscrew val, Penny wort and horn wort, 1 red tiger Lily and tons of other lilies just not sure what kind (got em with the pond tank). Most plants seem like they are struggling to survive in my tank even tho it's a dirted tank with fertilizers.
Yeah I have a 75 with two dwarf lilies that are going nuts. The crypts in that tank are doing so so and I also have a sword that is doing well.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane

Chief Tom

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2020
Be careful with the ez green. It works as advertised. I had to dim my light to almost nothing. It makes everything grow. EVERYTHING!

Reactions: tlindsey

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Be careful with the ez green. It works as advertised. I had to dim my light to almost nothing. It makes everything grow. EVERYTHING!
I started dosing it because I purchased a bottle of the easy carbon to hopefully help with the algae out break. They contacted me via email to ask the reason I was buying the carbon and what I was using for fert. They recommended I dose carbon daily full dose until algae started clearing and dose fert once a week. Once algae was gone I could back off carbon to every couple days. The carbon worked algae is mostly gone and plants are doing good.

Chief Tom

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2020
I started dosing it because I purchased a bottle of the easy carbon to hopefully help with the algae out break. They contacted me via email to ask the reason I was buying the carbon and what I was using for fert. They recommended I dose carbon daily full dose until algae started clearing and dose fert once a week. Once algae was gone I could back off carbon to every couple days. The carbon worked algae is mostly gone and plants are doing good.
What did the algae look like? Were you running carbon in the filtration too?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store