Peacock advice wanted...

Jrp0405

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 23, 2011
Mi
Last week I seen a beautiful peacock at my lfs. I was thinking about adding it to a 75g that I currently have running. My water tends to run more towards the hard side. Currently I have 3 silver dollars and 7 clown loaches in the tank. Would adding a peacock be a recipe for disaster, or should I give it a shot?

mchad

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2017
My personal experience and granted my peacock is a hybrid, but he is in an all African cichlid tank and has killed other tankmates. He is supposed to get along with other types of peacocks. He kills them. Given the fish you have listed, I am not at all an expert....however, from my experience...I think it could potentially kill your current fish.

Reactions: tlindsey

Judyok

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2015
Oklahoma
The peacock prefers hard water and the silver dollars prefer softer water. I wouldn't think they're compatible due to their disparate water requirements.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I agree with M mchad about Peacock killing your fish. You would have a better chance if you added more Peacocks because the one fish will eventually figure out that it is the dominant one in the 75 and I know I will get the SD's are fast African Peacock and Haplichromise are fast too and will have the SD's swimming into the walls of the aquarium.
Adding more would keep the Peacocks mostly focused on Peacock . I'm challenging myself right now to keep Haps and Peacocks.

Reactions: Jrp0405

stempy

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2011
Galloway, OH
I've kept hundreds of peacocks and honestly I've only had a handful that were downright brutal. Most get bullied by other haps. Would it be the dominant fish in your tank with those fish you listed, absolutely. Will it kill them? Depends on the individual fish. Watch it in the pet store and see how it interacts with other fish in it's tank. What kind of peacocks is it? If it's a hybrid those do tend to be more aggressive.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I've kept hundreds of peacocks and honestly I've only had a handful that were downright brutal. Most get bullied by other haps. Would it be the dominant fish in your tank with those fish you listed, absolutely. Will it kill them? Depends on the individual fish. Watch it in the pet store and see how it interacts with other fish in it's tank. What kind of peacocks is it? If it's a hybrid those do tend to be more aggressive.

Maybe this is what I am experiencing I didn't know that Dragons Blood were hybrid and found out the hard way it is one mean SOB.

mchad

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2017
Dragon blood is very mean peacock. They don't look mean in the LFS. Make other moderately aggressive mbunas look like poodles...

Also, if you do get multiple peacocks. You do have to be quite selective. I would not get hybrid peacocks. Also, you would need to be prepared to possibly rehome something. The personalities on these things just vary. The compatibility charts they have are a nice starting point, but also at times laughable because I have had the peacock kill fish that are supposedly completely compatible with it.

It unfortunately just really depends on individual temperament to a point.

Just from our experience, the dragon blood has killed 2 other peacocks and a red empress. It is also king in a tank with a zebra, blue dolphins, etc. All Africans. Blue dolphins can be nasty fish too. Nippy things!

Reactions: markstrimaran

Allan01230

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2006
Michigan
clown loaches are left alone by Africans since they have an eye tooth located behind the eye that is razor sharp they use this as a defense mechanism I have had large aurutus try to mess with my clown loaches and sooner then later they learn to leave them be

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store