Peacock Bass Breeding Behavior

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
I have only had pbass for less than 2 years. As I posted recently the male (Luther) mouths and nips at the female (Theo).
Lately Theo has been less submissive and at times goes after Luther. At times they also dart past each other with flared gills.
This behavior is now fairly consistant everyday.
A few questions for more experienced pbass keepers.
Are they indeed mating?
Will they actually breed?
They are a month or 2 less than 2 years old. Are they mature enough to breed?
Please take a look.

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
Did you notice any change of color, head shaking, or lip locking?
Vid of a pair spawnedhttps://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/peacock-bass-spawning.502723/
More gill flaring than head shaking.
Colors are super vibrant. Theo has much more black on her head.
No lip locking. If Theo did this Luther would beat the s__t out of her! All kidding aside, if Theo get's too aggressive Luther lets her have it by chasing her big time. After that he will swim over and mouth her. (apologize?).

Reactions: tlindsey

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
No lip locking. If Theo did this Luther would beat the s__t out of her! All kidding aside, if Theo get's too aggressive Luther lets her have it by chasing her big time. After that he will swim over and mouth her. (apologize?).
I watched the video. Mine act like this sometimes but no egg laying has occurred. I have an area cleared of rock with exposed tank bottom.
They hang out there at times. I tried a plate but they didn't like it.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Tbh don't have experience with PBass but I hope that they spawn for you.

Reactions: LBDave

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
it sounds like the start of it LBDave LBDave They will dig a hole in the substrate when their ready to spawn. When my fish are pre spawn it's a royal rumble in the tsnk until they do the deed. They will usually spawn the day after a large water change.

Reactions: LBDave and tlindsey

cigars

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 3, 2011
northern va
it sounds like the start of it LBDave LBDave They will dig a hole in the substrate when their ready to spawn. When my fish are pre spawn it's a royal rumble in the tsnk until they do the deed. They will usually spawn the day after a large water change.
Run your new water colder than tank water in will imitate rainy season and induce spawning.

haynchinook334

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
\m/(O_o)\m/
I have only had pbass for less than 2 years. As I posted recently the male (Luther) mouths and nips at the female (Theo).
Lately Theo has been less submissive and at times goes after Luther. At times they also dart past each other with flared gills.
Are they indeed mating?
Please take a look.
[/QUOTE
Are they indeed mating?
Please take a look.
Lay a flat piece of slate down and watch them go to work.

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
Hey pbass folks! These two have been doing foreplay etc. since this last post but no egg laying. Moving plants etc. but no "deed". Have done water changes where temp brought down to 78. Finally did one where temp was down to 76. Bang! Theo's tube dropped this morning. Both Luther and Theo tried to move the eartheater's cave so I moved it this morning to middle of tank(heck he couldn't get to that side of the tank anyway). Most plants moved to other side of tank by the bass. Went to store, came back and no eggs. Did a light cleaning and water change (because if eggs get layed don't want to disturb them).
Theo would not allow much vacuuming or any glass cleaning. Attacked anything I pit in tank.
She tries to clear an area but she seems to make more of a mess. Luther helps but seems more like going through the motions to please her. If he leaves the area she goes and gets him. Gotta be ready with that sperm!! I think both Luther and I are getting a little tired of waiting!
I will keep you posted. See video. Wife said she saw an egg drop. Listen to my response.
PS - You might be able to see eartheater on the right (Mr. Big Stuff).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store