Peacock Bass Breeding Setup

Aquafreak

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fleetwood, PA
Sounds great. My suggestion would be to read and learn everything you can about keeping them first. Certain things like filtration are often increased for Cichla. I learned the hard way and wished I would have put more time in to researching before I ventured into it several years ago. Ask away though, as there is a plethora of knowledge amongst the members here. I can't say they don't bite though... so ask nicely. :D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Goldfish Beware

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2015
Perth, Australia
Still can't find any solid information on (the most) suitable substrate.
One source said river sand, others said gravel, no substrate at all....
Instinct is telling me to go with a small grain size that will compliment the pH requirements.
Thoughts...??

Goldfish Beware

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2015
Perth, Australia
Instinct is telling me to go with a small grain size that will compliment the pH requirements.
Thoughts...??

Aquafreak

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fleetwood, PA
I use pool filter sand and have for years. Love it. Some like tile bottoms for a nice clean look. I like a more natural look.

Mr Pleco

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2006
West
Thoughts...??
Breeding tanks I prefer no substrate.. I use terra cotta pot saucers or slate on the bottom to simulate a depression . Then its easy to move the eggs to a hatching tank

Aquafreak

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fleetwood, PA
Breeding tanks I prefer no substrate.. I use terra cotta pot saucers or slate on the bottom to simulate a depression . Then its easy to move the eggs to a hatching tank
I would agree that a tank used purely for breeding would probably not have much, if any substrate. I was referring to general tanks. I have heard of a few accounts where the reflection of the glass on the bottom impacted the pair and the addition of a light coating, and I mean dusting, can help to break up that reflection.

Goldfish Beware

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2015
Perth, Australia
Thanks for the advice guys (and girls?).
I have tried very hard with this tank to simulate a more natural look.
Heater is inline in the base, inlet and outlet spouts are in hollow logs or under rocks etc.
Nothing man made will be seen in the tank.
I think I will get a flat piece of shale for the egg laying surface.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store